My latest MPG numbers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I filled up the Corolla today and received a pleasant 35.02 mpg
banana2.gif
. When I filled up last week, I increased my tire pressure to around 40psi to see if this, in combination with driving more conservatively in regard to my gas pedal, would improve my mileage. I was shocked when my handy-dandy calculator returned 35 mpg. I suppose what is most surprising, at least to me, is the fact that the car has the 3 speed automatic transmission--no overdrive and is factory rated at 28 in the city and 33 on the highway. My daily driving is about 80% highway and 20% city.
19.gif

I had posted last week of potentially switching from my current fill of Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 to Mobil 1 0w-30 AFE to see if the Mobil 1 would increase my mileage. However, after the replies I received and today's mpg numbers, I think I will stay with the PP. I am still on cloud nine with these mpg numbers(you can tell I'm a car nerd!
lol.gif
)and I filled up over six hours ago!

Gas guzzler!!!

I think that you should give Edge or M1 0w20 a try. You could even use the Honda or Toyota 0w20.

And, if the trans takes Dexron, then you should flush it out with Amsoil ATL, Redline D6, Maxlife, or AmalieSynth. The PS should also use ATF so use it there.

A little more effort and you got yourself a 40mpg vehicle.

40psi. I bet you feel every bump. Probably handles like a champ. I increased the pressure in my tires and didn't really notice a difference in ride except for better handling. I figured a truck will always drive like a truck.

Originally Posted By: skibender
The money you save on gas can then be used on buying new tires due to excessive center wear due to over inflation.

Not necessarily. You can usually bump tire pressure up 5psi or so and the tires will last longer. They have lower pressure for ride comfort.

The money you save on gas can then be used on buying new tires due to excessive center wear due to over inflation.

Good point! This crossed my mind too; but, I am keeping a close eye on the treadwear and will swiftly decrease the pressure when I notice excessive center wear.

I wouldn't change a thing. My lifetime average is 38.62mpgUS and my max is 46.29mpgUS...but then mine is probably newer and I have overdrive...

Don't change a thing...that PP 5w30 is pure gold...gold Jerry..gold !!

Take a look at cleanmpg.com and ecomodder.org for more skill related tips...you can do it!

I wouldn't put 40PSI in my tires. I run 34 tops and get very good tire life and ride quality. Also don't fall for that one tank of gas figuring MPG thing. You should figure 5 tanks in a row which will give you a more realistic figure.

Last edited:

I know I'm going to take flak for this and people calling untrue, however...

I've run max sidewall (44 PSI) on my tires for the past 65k miles with zero extra center wear. The sides are evenly worn more than the center ribs on these tires. So far these tires are right on track to expire at the end of their 85k treadlife warranty. It helps that most of those miles were in a fairly unloaded car, usually just myself and 50 lbs of stuff cruising sedately on the interstate.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen

Don't change a thing...that PP 5w30 is pure gold...gold Jerry..gold !!

That quote is awesome
lol.gif

I'm avg about 35-36 mpg in my new Fit with only 1900 miles on it.....this tank I'm about halfway through it and doing close to 40 mpg
smile.gif

Goose

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

Not necessarily. You can usually bump tire pressure up 5psi or so and the tires will last longer. They have lower pressure for ride comfort.

Totally depends on the tire. That is completely not true for 215/55/17s. I only went up by 5psi (from 32 to 37) and had to replace to the tires due to center wear. the outer thirds of the tires still had plenty of life. If I had to guess, the over inflating cost me about 10-12k of tire life.

This is a bit long winded but I feel like babbling while my post doesn't really go anywhere.

I like, and have tweeked my PSI up to the point (over the listed PSI in the door jamb) to where I don't notice any ride difference over expansion joints/pot holes. This is only a few PSI at best for me and my applications. IDK if this actually helps MPG as I have never noticed any improvements by doing so.

I have gotten and continue to get better MPG by using the cruise control often and by driving conservatively.

I would love to get better MPG in all of our vehicles but, not at the expense of day-to-day comfort. I want an increase in fuel economy of more than .05 MPG if I am going to feel more of the road imperfections. I'd like something along the lines of 2-5 MPG and I don't think it's obtainable.

I think that driving more conservatively has more to do with MPG than tire PSI. I have also never noticed any improvements in MPG by using Synthetic Oil either. Again, just babbling!

I have been measuring MPG over the last 35-40 years on every tank of fuel in every vehicle that I have owned. Oh sure, I have missed a measurement here and there! But, what I notice most in getting better MPG is...consistant/warmer outside tempuratures, conservative driving habits, the proper octane fuel, proper tune of the engine(mainly 02 & A/F sensors) and good care of the vehicle itself including the tires.

I have never noticed any better MPG by keeping or not keeping the vehicle waxed or removing the roof rack cross beams on a vehicle so equiped. It is what it is!

I strongly beleive that one needs to do many things in order to increase MPG by a noticable margin such as...Syn lubes everywhere(engine, tranny, diff. etc.), proper or increased PSI in the tires, decreased weight in the vehicle including the trunk/hatchback along with mild driving habits. And this only nets a few MPG at best compared to not doing these things. Doing one thing all by itself doesn't show consistant MPG increases. You might get a "Flyer" now and again...a large MPG increase for no appearant reason.

Warmer outside temps has more to do with better MPG all by itself than any other single/multiple thing(s) that I have ever done in all of my years of measuring fuel economy. Plus, buying and driving better MPG vehicles.

Years ago, my wife an I used to drive on long 2/3 week vacations in our 4 cyl cars along with our frinds in their V6 vehicles(aprox same wgt cars), 4 cyl ACCORD/V6 CLEBRITY or 4 cyl Camry/V6 GrandAm in these examples. We would drive anywhere between NY and Myrtle Beach and FL.

Our friends V6's EPA rating were very close to our 4cyl engines up to a certain point. But when they would get into the throttle and bring up the speed on the highway(as to make up better time travel), their MPG would drop about 8-10 MPG and ours would only drop about 2 MPG if at all, while traveling at the same highway speeds as one another. But as long as they were driving easy in their V6, the MPG was close(although still a bit lower than our 4cyl).

Driving at 55 MPH, the 4cyl(38+MPG) and V6(32+MPG).
Driving at 65 MPH, the 4cyl(36-37MPG)& V6(25-27MPG).
Driving at 75 MPH, the 4cyl(34-35MPG)& V6(22-23MPG).

That's between 14% loss for the 4cyl and 40% loss V6!

This isn't the only example I have...There are more! What we notice is that while driving conservatively, both 4 and V6 are close in MPG but, don't get into the excelerator too much in the V6 vehicle as the MPG really drops like a rock as where the 4 banger does, but not as much.

Just babbling! No sarcasm please!

Yeah right! I can hear the comments already
smile.gif

Better than watching someone let their car run while pumping gas and still let the car run when in convenience store for about 5 minutes more . Sort of like eating caviar while having a real bad case of the runs and
37.gif
. These are usually the people asking / complaining why's my gas mileage so lousy and the prices so high ?
33.gif
. Thanks for contributing to these questions and others pockets
spankme2.gif

Last edited:
6 lbs over the recommended tire pressure is about my limit.
But it should be quite safe.
Remember that tire pressures are a compromise - not an exact fixed point. They fluctuate when driving, anyway.

But what was the mileage before? Warmer weather and highway use will help a lot. And subconsciously, your right foot may very well be easier on the gas.

One more thing -
When you increase tire pressures, the radius to the ground from the axle increases [the tire is never round, but has a variable shape]. You CAN therefore register NO increase in MPGs, but actually HAVE an increase.
Why? Because the odometer registers turns, not the actual distance achieved.
Like if you put a 60" diameter wagon wheel on the car. More miles would be actually driven than would be recorded. The odometer is spec'd for the smallerr tire.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

Totally depends on the tire. That is completely not true for 215/55/17s. I only went up by 5psi (from 32 to 37) and had to replace to the tires due to center wear. the outer thirds of the tires still had plenty of life. If I had to guess, the over inflating cost me about 10-12k of tire life.

That's the most intelligent statement on tire pressure I've heard. Some tires take sidewall PSI just fine, others will wear the center far more.

My MPG has gone up thanks to some aero-modding on the Buick. It's nice to see my ScanGauge II hit 40 mpg for brief stretches...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back