My ignorance: Bad Mass Air flow sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I blamed Slick 50 fuel cleaner for this problem:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1932302&page=1

I blamed bad flywheel on this problem:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1885876&page=1

It was neither the flywheel nor the Slick 50. The problem came back and now it's worse than before. The check engine light finally came on and I went to my local Napa and it read PO103 MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR. I just bought a can of CRC MAF Sensor cleaner and I'm going to give it a try tomorrow.

Last edited:
I have had the same issue with a Ford 4.0L SOHC. Bought electronics cleaner from Radio Shack and sprayed the MAF sensor. I had problems with starting the vehicle and having it die. Cleaned the MAF sensor and that issue has stopped.

If it starts and idles fine, then tap the maf sensor with the handle of a screwdriver. If the engine stumbles then it's probably bad. Reading the other posts, I'll have to chime in that all my manual tranny vehicles have had some clutch chatter in humid weather. I don't know why but my subaru does it, as well as the ford, the chevy s10 I used to own and the opel and charger all did it only when it was after a rain or when it was warm and sticky outside then it went away after a mile or so.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dhise
If it starts and idles fine, then tap the maf sensor with the handle of a screwdriver. If the engine stumbles then it's probably bad. Reading the other posts, I'll have to chime in that all my manual tranny vehicles have had some clutch chatter in humid weather. I don't know why but my subaru does it, as well as the ford, the chevy s10 I used to own and the opel and charger did it only when it was after a rain or when it was warm and sticky outside then it went away after a mile or so.

!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not alone!! I've heard it is most notorious in Subaru's.

In addition to the Mass Air Flow Cleaning... I will clean my throttle body as well. The Air filter is brand new.

Last edited:
Old Mustang 5.0 engines have really bad MAF sensor problems. Spec of dirt on that thing and that engine cant run for [censored] and stall out of no where every few minutes. What [censored].

I think that checking out your (removed non site sponsor link) is very important because it gave you an idea on the way your car runs. If you ignored it, it might loosen up your own driving and then it might really make your driving worst. Or the law will held you up on speeding!

Last edited by a moderator:
When I bought my used Corolla it had problems starting, stalled at idle when engine was cold, and hesitated until it warmed. My progression:

- Cleaned throttle body and butterfly valve with throttle body cleaner;
- Cleaned MAF O2 sensor with CRC contact cleaner;
- Replaced PCV valve.

PCV valve turned out to be the culprit. Also gave it a good run on a tank of Regane treated gas. Quick and cheap tuneup.

-Spyder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back