My First Experience With a Chain Auto Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chain shops?

What's the old saying?

Even the sun shines on a dead dogs a-- once a day.

Firestone, had a bad experience there, once. I had used them for maybe 3 years, OCs, tire rotations, brakes, small general maintenance stuff. They ended up messing up eventually, so I use them no more.

Jeffy Lube? Never used one, because they don't have one anywhere around me. I do get oh so tired of hearing the stories. Kind of like Fram filters, somebody always has something bad to say about them. Most of the time it's not a direct relation of the story, it's a hand me down thing, like my baby daddy's, sister's, cousin's husband got his car messed up at Jeffy Lube.

Sears. Never used them, but lots of people do. A few have problems, many do not.

Cost for an oil change. 7 quarts of oil and filter, less than $10. Do the work myself. QS Torque Power ($1 each) and an Advanced Auto filter ($1.15).

$9 for one qt of Redline. Shiver me timbers, can't hardly believe it's ten times better than what I am using.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
imo, Firestone Car Care is pretty good.

Thieves in NH. I wanted four RE960's installed. They tried to sell an alignment, protection packages first for tires then had my car in the garage with hood open(??) for 30 minutes. Came back with $500 of potential work like major tune up, air filter, flushes etc.

My Subaru had its 30k major service at dealer only 1500 miles before.......

I will never visit a chain tire shop again. Similar experience with others.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Originally Posted By: rg200amp
LOL

I dont think I can get 7 quarts of Redline, a filter, and a intall for 6 bucks!!!

Shoot, I cant get one quart of redline for under 9 dollars!
crazy2.gif

But you did get a GOOD deal.
Where did you go, and what kind of oil/filter?

4 quarts of new formula Havoline w/Deposit Shield and a ProLine oil filter. The oil filter cost more than the oil!
LOL.gif
The Havoline was on sale for .69/quart after rebate when Deposit Shield was first introduced at CSK, and the filter was around $2.50 if I remember right. So for 4 quarts @ .69/each and the $2.50 filter, it's around $6. Plus, that UOA came back excellent, one of my best yet. Did it myself, btw, so no labor costs.
thumbsup2.gif

That is great prices.

I was going to do my own oil changes, but I went to the auto store and priced out the jack, jack stands, oil filter rench. I had it all in line. the price was like 60 some bucks. The guy(shop manager) said he would do my change for the 11 bucks. So lazyness set in and I relaxed in the wait room with the jerry springer on and all the free room temp coffee a man could want!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back