My first DIY; Conoco Phillips Spr All Sea Syn Bld

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed my oil TODAY to an MC cousin, the Conoco Phillips Super All Season Synthetic Blend (see below) and this was my first oil change where I did it all by myself from A to Z..yes even loosening the existing oil filter (that's usually tighened by a shop). I tell you, it feels good to change your oil from A to Z for essentially the first time. The last time, I needed help loosening the oil filter and the guy who helped me tightened it quite rigorously but only with one hand reaching thru the wheel wheel and interestingly enough, it conversely came off very easy and in-fact might have been on the verge of becoming a bit loose even as it was like knife to hot butter. I tightened the one that replaced it with both hands!

This is my second consecutive change using this same oil, Conoco Phillips Super All Season Synthetic Blend 5w-20 and I tell ya, to answer you question..you're not missing a thing...The oil I drained felt just short of a whopping 5500 miles and even though the color was expected to be white when I drained the oil and it was, the oil still had some stick to it and it wasn't totally 'nondescript' to the touch or absent of any "fell to it" when you feel it between you thumb and index finger as you drain it. I realize I have no UOA but based on oil that has come out of my old Integra which demonstrated to me what oil abuse could be (it had massive head gasket and overheating issues so the oil really took a beating)

I think this oil is superb, both MC and the oil I use below- Conoco Phillips Super All Season Synthetic Blend, as they are close cousins if not siblings. This is my second OCI and based on what I saw drain out, the oil was dirty but it still had some "stick to it" and was NOT totally devoid of all total additives if you will.

Woo, feels good to do my first oil change from A to Z! Anyone have a similar story of first self-serve DIY oil change or can remember vivid tales of your own first oil change?!

Last edited:
Yep,it`s alot of fun and peace of mind doing your own maintenance. But it gets addicting...........here soon you`ll be changing your own tranny fluid and radiator coolant like it`s nothing! One day awhile back I did the engine oil,rear differential,and tranny fluid all in one day,whew! I`ll admit,doing a very first tranny fluid change was a hellacious pain! But,once you figure everything out,it`s a breeze! Be sure to use one of those hand pumps that screws on the quart bottles,it makes it really easy!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Yep,it`s alot of fun and peace of mind doing your own maintenance. But it gets addicting...........here soon you`ll be changing your own tranny fluid and radiator coolant like it`s nothing! One day awhile back I did the engine oil,rear differential,and tranny fluid all in one day,whew! I`ll admit,doing a very first tranny fluid change was a hellacious pain! But,once you figure everything out,it`s a breeze! Be sure to use one of those hand pumps that screws on the quart bottles,it makes it really easy!

I did my own ATF change at 31.5k allready and I am at 42xxx now. IT was actually easier(to get to) to do the ATF change..well, I can't say that because adding it through the dipstick was messy because the tube on the device I bought to fill fluid through the dipstick was slightly bigger then the dipstick hole so some of it leaked but cleaning it was simply a mtter of stuffing some paper towels under the fillter hole.

Do you know which hand pump works best with 2006 Honda Accord? If not, I can reuse the one I got but can stuff some paper towel *BEFORE* I refill so it wil fall onto the paper towels. I wish I was an advanced DIY to where I can replace the ATF filter and filter screen(?) the next time I do the ATF Drain and Fill. Btw, I do not think I have rear differential and my coolant doesn't need placing till like 100k or something?!

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
Originally Posted By: 06VtecV6
aquariuscsm said:
Do you know which hand pump works best with 2006 Honda Accord?

Hand pump for oil or for tranny fluid?

ATF..what I got is not a pump but more like a plastic bottle with a tube. I don't think I have ever seen the hand-pump but hopefully I can see it it, touch it, try it to ensure proper fitment to dipstick opening so it doesn't leak when I try to add ATF for a drain and fill..

more and likely, I am going to have to pay big bucks to let a tech do my next ATF since I need to get that ATf filter/screen out and replaced with a new one.

I have a manual tranny. I have to put my car up on ramps,and pump the fluid into the fill hole that`s on the side of the tranny.

I used to do all the fluid changes on my auto trannies as well(always used Mobil 1 ATF). I`d just drop the pan,replace the filter,replace the pan,and fill it back up through the dipstick hole with a funnel. My old 3000GT actually had an auto tranny drain plug bolt(just like the engine oil drain plug). Pretty convenient!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I have a manual tranny. I have to put my car up on ramps,and pump the fluid into the fill hole that`s on the side of the tranny.

I used to do all the fluid changes on my auto trannies as well(always used Mobil 1 ATF). I`d just drop the pan,replace the filter,replace the pan,and fill it back up through the dipstick hole with a funnel. My old 3000GT actually had an auto tranny drain plug bolt(just like the engine oil drain plug). Pretty convenient!

Sweet, btw for all who are interested on what oil filter I used for this great oil and DIY, I used the Super Tech oil filter for the very first time. My last filter was Napa Gold and before that, Honda A02s and so far, this Super Tech oil filter is on par with all those if not exceeds them and it was only 3 dollars which is more then half the price of the Napa Gold(7.00 + tax) and Honda A02(7 bucks + tax). I will never buy a Honda filter again and probably not the NGs any more either. Never ever, these ST are *that* good. Really, imo, spins up real nicely with a kick at the end..

Last edited:

--->the dipstick was messy because the tube on the device I bought to fill fluid through the dipstick was slightly bigger then the dipstick hole

Get the FloTool 10701 funnel because it's got the narrow snout!

31N4XZ0YPTL._SS500_.jpg

Uh, Thanks. I just calculated my gas mileage on my last fill-up coming off a full tank and it was 409.5 miles on 15.5 gallons so it came out to 26.4 mpg, 98% city. Pretty good. The money I saved, I guess, could be used for that cool funnel Merkava to do my next ATF Drain and Fill!!

I tell ya, it's sites like this that really help me drive the point home that I really validated my purchase of a V6 AT with outstanding gas mileage.

Last edited:
I just thought of something! You never did give me the outside diameter of the oil filter so that I could give you the part number for the oil filter wrench.

spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I just thought of something! You never did give me the outside diameter of the oil filter so that I could give you the part number for the oil filter wrench.

Wait, I have an answer, I wanted to defer doing the measuring because I was not 100% dead set on using the Napa Gold for this current change I just did since I was half way into my OCI. As it turns out, I was true because I switched to Super Tech. I was just trying out progressively better oil filters from the dirty cheap A02 Honda to the NGs and now that I switched from the NG to the ST, I have found the homerun swing for filters in terms of performance for price($3.00) in the Super Tech, I am now ready to answer your question.

Having said that, I bet the measurements of the ST filter are available online somewhere?

Last edited:
Quote:
Having said that, I bet the measurements of the ST filter are available online somewhere?

Oh yeah! Send me on another research project why don't you! Like I have nothing better to do tonight! Actually I don't have anything better to do.
grin2.gif

I looked it up at the WIX site:
55.gif

Part Number: 51356
UPC Number: 765809513563

Principal Application: Acura (02-08), Chrysler Imports (92-06), Ford Probe (93-97), Honda (01-08), Infiniti/Nissan (96-08), Mazda (71-00), Mercury Villager (99-00), Mitsubishi (90-08), Saturn (04-07), Outboard Marine Engines, Various HD Equip.

Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 3.402
Outer Diameter Top: 2.685
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/19
Burst Pressure-PSI: 363
Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 19

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.475 2.173 0.233

Did my first oil (a to z as you describe) when I was 11 (31 years ago). I told my Dad I wanted to change the oil in his Ford LTD Country Squire wagon (had a 400 cu small block).

Dad bought the oil and filter handed it to me in the garage and said come get him when I'm done (he went in the house and let me do the job unsupervised). He never changed his own oil (but had it done regularly). He was more than willing to let me learn on his cars. Luckily I never messed anything up and quickly graduated to "tune ups" and more complicated work. That is where I got my desire to work on cars (my own -- nobody elses). I like the quality time. Gives me a chance to look things over and I know things are done right.

One time when one of the fast lube joints (no point in naming names -- you can insert pretty much anyone) first opened up I went there out of the novelty of it. I was frightened by these guys. They were a scary bunch. The car made it out alive but I never went back :)

Congrats on doing your own oil change.

Uh, Thanks. I just calculated my gas mileage on my last fill-up coming off a full tank and it was 409.5 miles on 15.5 gallons so it came out to 26.4 mpg, 98% city. Pretty good. The money I saved, I guess, could be used for that cool funnel Merkava to do my next ATF Drain and Fill!!

I tell ya, it's sites like this that really help me drive the point home that I really validated my purchase of a V6 AT with outstanding gas mileage.

Thanks guys for the good vibes and stories.. Am I the only one who thinks a V6 with 26.4 mpg should not be beating 4 cyl and I4 engines in gas mileage but it does? Buddy of mines Scion Tc only getting 23 mpg in the frigid northeast? Now, granted I use no A/C but still.. 26.4 miles per gallon with 15.5 gallons doing 409.5 miles has gotta be phenomenal universally, I would imagine? The only thing besides fresh oil that changed was the ST filter. Is the ST filter the most underrated one out there these days?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back