My cleaning / lubrication regimen for my firearms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive used motor oil on a bolt action .22 and it ran better than using CLP or WD40. I like to use grease on my surplus pistols since they just dont slide smoothly on CLP. With Hoppe's gun grease they are fantastic. Kind of like motor oil it suspends the soot and wipes off. I only apply a small amount along the rail and Im happy. Plus it doesnt just go away like CLP after a few days. On my poly frame pistols I just use CLP.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I have started to use Simple Green to clean my S&W M&P 9 mm. It works really good and is cheap, readily available, and does not smell bad. I saw a video where a professional gunsmith recommended Simple Green for cleaning a gun and Breakfree as a lube. Another certified S&W M&P armorer also said to use Simple Green.

Just make sure to dry well and put a light coat of Breakfree on the parts.

You definitely can use Simple Green on at least a few of the parts, such as the gun barrel, the magazines (which you can take apart and reassemble), the recoil spring assembly, and the slide. If there is copper buildup in the barrel you might need to use some sort of copper remover.

Using the Simple Green has really speeded up cleaning. After I clean the gun with Simple Green I then do a cleaning with Breakfree because the Simple Green removes the oil as well as carbon buildup. And I lubricate the gun with Breakfree at the required locations.

It all works so well I am thinking about tossing the Hoppes cleaning products and almost everything else I have. The only other stuff I might keep are products to clean out copper buildup in the barrel. I can use those occasionally.

Be careful using SG around guns. It will eat aluminum.

BSW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back