my changing musical taste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I've recently become partial to gangster rap and K-Pop after being a long time listerner of big-band and folk music.

Owning a Civic will do that to you.

Ed

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I've recently become partial to gangster rap and K-Pop after being a long time listerner of big-band and folk music.

eek.gif

I recommend immediate intervention!

Same thing here. I have really been listening to alot of country lately. For me, I never really enjoyed the words when I listened to music. I liked a nice melody or beat vs. the actual intent of the song.
Nowadays, I kind of enjoy the words in country songs. They sing about country, having a drink and enjoying a lady friend.

Originally Posted By: GGorman04
Same thing here. I have really been listening to alot of country lately. For me, I never really enjoyed the words when I listened to music. I liked a nice melody or beat vs. the actual intent of the song.

Nowadays, I kind of enjoy the words in country songs. They sing about country, having a drink and enjoying a lady friend.

This reflects what has happened with me. When I was younger I was moved by the music in a physical way, now I also connect with it in a social way, i.e. I now see that, contrary to my earlier-life perceptions, people aren't as different as I had thought. I can now relate to the people and story even if it comes from a different musical style than I'm used to. As an easy example, my appreciation and understanding for the music of Willie Nelson rose concurrently with my understanding of him as a person.

I am also now willing to admit the universality and let into my psychological space a lot of the life and human issues that were beyond my ability to appreciate before.

Funny, I'm a die hard 80's fan. Played in bands throughout the 80's and just loved the music. Have just about every 80's song out there and all my xm channels are preset to new wave/80's stuff. But within the last two years...I've been listening to a lot of death metal.....the stuff that you can't even understand what the heck the guy is screaming. I think it's the actual music....heavy riffs and some complicated drumming. I am a drummer. I even play drums at church but I just can't get enough of death metal.

What ever death metal is it sounds dreadful. I recommend more church and I'm not even a practicing Christian. Music should be stuff that gives you a positive frame of mind. Screaming doesn't bliss me out one bit.
grin2.gif

My musical tastes is pretty much everything prior to disco. Hendrix and Morrison have lost their attraction over the yrs. I like anything the Rolling Stones ever did, and just about anything Mozart composed. Muddy Waters too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd
What ever death metal is it sounds dreadful. I recommend more church and I'm not even a practicing Christian. Music should be stuff that gives you a positive frame of mind. Screaming doesn't bliss me out one bit.
grin2.gif

My musical tastes is pretty much everything prior to disco. Hendrix and Morrison have lost their attraction over the yrs. I like anything the Rolling Stones ever did, and just about anything Mozart composed. Muddy Waters too.

lol.gif
Love that first part...

I listen to everything. New and old. I've noticed regardless of the generation, there is trashy music. Liking the current "80s" theme in music right now...

Lately, it has been older music for me. Haven't listen to this much Chicago in years....

naaahhhhh...it's all good. Even back when I was touring with various bands, it was all about the music, never really paid attention to the lyrics, just the different movements within the music. With that being said, some of the death metal stuff I've been listening to, like Opeth, is really complicated. Different time signatures, bridges, key changes.....I mean, now some of that metal stuff is just stupid....but that's why there are presets on my satellite radio!!!! But seriously, some of it is actually well thought out and complicated. Don't knock it until you've tried it!!! On playing this newer church music, it's almost like playing 80's stuff again....very similar rhythms.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
naaahhhhh...it's all good. Even back when I was touring with various bands, it was all about the music, never really paid attention to the lyrics, just the different movements within the music. With that being said, some of the death metal stuff I've been listening to, like Opeth, is really complicated. Different time signatures, bridges, key changes.....I mean, now some of that metal stuff is just stupid....but that's why there are presets on my satellite radio!!!! But seriously, some of it is actually well thought out and complicated. Don't knock it until you've tried it!!! On playing this newer church music, it's almost like playing 80's stuff again....very similar rhythms.

Opeth is my all-time favorite band! I love all kinds of metal. When I was younger, I used to hate it, but it slowly grew on me more and more, and now it's my favorite genre. I also listen to just about everything else. My tastes don't seem to change much anymore, they just expand as I start to like more different kinds of music.

Tastes change....growth or evolution of the musical kind is a normal thing. I find it odd that after decades of listening to the same music OVER and OVER....some people never tire of it or even desire to explore other varieties. In my opinion, that is strange. What a dull life if you never try different things once in a while. I've found that my musical tastes have expanded greatly since my days of ONLY listening to eighties pop. Now my listening choices vary quite a bit. I can listen and greatly enjoy Sinatra, Pavarotti, Buck Owens, Mariachis, Blondie, Japanese Traditional....all in one day. Whatever suits my mood.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I found myself singing "let it go" at work the other day.

Be careful admitting that ... you're likely to have your Metal Card taken away. Bruce D, Steve H and the boys wouldn't approve.
31.gif
55.gif

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
I think it's the actual music....heavy riffs and some complicated drumming. I am a drummer. I even play drums at church but I just can't get enough of death metal.

I can't claim much love for death metal, although I like Cannibal Corpse's cover of No Remorse ... and for fast drumming, Dave Lombardo.

Kinda natural to have different music types tickle the inside of one's skull as one ages.

So does the music fit the mood, or does the music set the mood? or better yet, both.

I pretty much play music all day long. Got about 5K songs on random shuffle. Freaks some nearby people out that it will go from Hendrix to Louis armstrong to MC5 to Mozart to Peter Tosh to Delbert Mcclinton to Los Solatarios to Parov Stelar to Stan Getz to the Sex Pistols, to Broselmaschine,

and perhaps even some Country.

But the Old stuff. Hank Williams the First.

And lately, surprisingly, Robert Duvall.

At age 44 I haven't "grown up" musically yet, I'm still listening to mostly metal like Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, Pantera, Testament, Iron Maiden, as well as 80s "hair metal" like Motley Crue, GNR, Skid Row, Def Leppard, Queensryche and lots more. I do admit that I like some new country like Lady Antebellum, but can't get into the old country stuff at all.

I had a similar experience. I dated a girl that loved George Jones and we went to one of his performances - now I own several of his CD's (and the girl is long gone). Yesterday I switched from Queen to Jerry Reed - that guy could play the guitar and had a fine voice - son!

Originally Posted By: Patman
At age 44 I haven't "grown up" musically yet, I'm still listening to mostly metal like Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, Pantera, Testament, Iron Maiden, as well as 80s "hair metal" like Motley Crue, GNR, Skid Row, Def Leppard, Queensryche and lots more. I do admit that I like some new country like Lady Antebellum, but can't get into the old country stuff at all.

I`m like you Patman,I love a lot of the new country,but absolutely hate the 80s country! A few of my fave current country bands/artists,The Band Perry(I love all the various sophisticated instruments/instrumentation they incorporate into their music),Zac Brown Band(love their vocal harmonies),Miranda Lambert,Taylor Swift,Kelly Pickler,Sunny Sweeney(they`re cute,love their voices),The Civil Wars,Josh Turner,just to name a few.

My sister LOVES that heavy metal/hair band rock too and she`s 48 :^) She and I went to the Motley Crue "Girls Girls Girls" concert back in '87 :^) It was a KILLER show!! Their drummer did this insane drum solo I remember!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back