My '63 Impala wont start:(

My '63 Impala wont start and this is a relatively simple car, this was yrs before chips & computers.
But battery shows plenty fire from simple testing it with large pliers lol, all connections seem good and tight.
Ignition has no response, no head lights/park lights, no nothing.
I even tried to jump it with wife's car, got nothing.
Bottom line is this, its just like there's not even a battery in the car.
Any ideas, anyone?

Last edited:
When you connected the jumper cables, were both clamps on the Impala battery? If so, check your ground(s). If you have nothing working, something isn't completing the circuit.

Yes, jumper clamps connected correctly, all grounds look/feel ok, a small green wire coming from the pos pole to the voltage reg seems tight and good. Thanks for your reply.

Yes, had not thought of that. I will do that when I get sunlight. But will that simply tell me if my present ground is ok? The fuse box is under dash on drvr-side and havent cked that. Thank you.

Yes, jumper clamps connected correctly, all grounds look/feel ok, a small green wire coming from the pos pole to the voltage reg seems tight and good. Thanks for your reply.
You can't go by "looks ok". I would remove and clean all battery, B+ and ground connections especially at the engine block.
Watch the use of plyers. You don't want to cause your battery to explode.

All good answers and recommendations here… check the positive battery cable connections at the starter solenoid. While your there check the two small wire connections as well.

Beat me to it-the positive wire goes to the positive battery cable at the starter, then to the firewall (through a fusible link), then to the fuse box & switch. My money is on the fusible link, possibly where it passes through the firewall (big connector).

you need to get and learn to use a voltmeter. Harbor freight has them for under $10,00 Many You tube videos. You can also do quite a lot with a 12 volt test light. My bet is on a bad battery cable or connection to the battery. Then on a ground.

Arcing across the battery is a good way to get hurt.

It does sounds like a fuse of sorts, possibly a ground, but you need a multmeter to check the battery voltage & use it for continuity checking.

I have seen battery's and they check out ok but for some reason they don't work. I would buy a brand new battery and try it or use a good proven battery out of another vehicle. Batteries can do strange things. They check out ok but still don't work correctly.

on older cars that don't get much use, the first thing i would try is cleaning the battery terminals. i've had this exact symptom on a 65 GTO. remove the battery terminals and use one of those top post battery cleaners with the wire brush inside. then use some anti-corrosion spray on the terminals.

The '63 Impala is a beautiful car. I love the styling. 283/Powerglide?

It sounds like the starter motor is not trying to turn the engine over, correct?

I would start by probing with a 12 V test light.

on older cars that don't get much use, the first thing i would try is cleaning the battery terminals. i've had this exact symptom on a 65 GTO. remove the battery terminals and use one of those top post battery cleaners with the wire brush inside. then use some anti-corrosion spray on the terminals.
+1

If you tried to jump and still no headlights, I think that would rule out the battery and point to an open circuit somewhere.

Back