Must have tool for DOHC engines, per richpin

Status
Not open for further replies.
This post is from the series of YouTube videos by richpin who mainly works on a Saturn Series S with a 4 cyl DOHC engine. He found this tool at Auto Zone for only $12.99 and bought it. he says this is a bargain compared to the price Snap On was asking. This is a 15.5" 3/8" drive extension with a 5/8' spark plug socket on one end. The great thing is the socket has a swivel and the socket also has a magnetic insert to hold the plug as you remove it. Be sure to look at his other videos in the series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuYkB7Poi3Q&feature=channel_page

Love Richpin since I have a 99 SL2 and his video's are invaluable. I like this tool but could not justify it. I already have a long extension with the nice 2" area that is scored. To me, it makes it much easier to turn things by fingers like when I start plugs. That was my motor (well, a clean version of the one I have). Watch me buy this tool anyway. Kinda like buying oil when it is a good deal.

I forgot to say that the tool is by Great Neck part no. 28004. six point socket. They also have a 5/8" s/p socket part no. 28005 for the same 12.99. Price the simular tool by Snap On if you want to feel like you are getting a bargain. I don't have a Saturn or a DOHC egine and I bought one.

Next time get one with an Ecotec. When I did the plugs on mine, I just used a regular 3/8'' ratchet, extension, and 5/8'' spark plug.

I've done plugs on the saturn LLO and the ecotec and never needed anything besides a regular extension and plug socket. saturns are very easy to work on w/ a standard tool set.

RE: the GM EcoTech engine in the Cobalt, the HHR, the Sunbird, the Solstice, the Malibu and many others. How hard is it to work on? Change oil and filter? I hear so many good things about it.

My Ecotec is the easiest thing I have ever changed the oil on. I don't need ramps or jacks. I can reach the drain plug from in front of the car. The oil filter is done standing up. In 150K, the only other thing I have done to the engine is the sparkplugs, a breeze. I did replace the battery, and it is no problem.

The radiator hoses look like a PITA. I keep wondering if after most of 8 years if I should go ahead and replace them.

I would think at eight years, you are pushing the outer limits. I would change them and just think of the money and effort the car has saved you over the yeats. Pay a little back, so you won't be stuck on the highway in the summer heat.

Originally Posted By: Jim Spahr
This post is from the series of YouTube videos by richpin who mainly works on a Saturn Series S with a 4 cyl DOHC engine. He found this tool at Auto Zone for only $12.99 and bought it. he says this is a bargain compared to the price Snap On was asking. This is a 15.5" 3/8" drive extension with a 5/8' spark plug socket on one end. The great thing is the socket has a swivel and the socket also has a magnetic insert to hold the plug as you remove it. Be sure to look at his other videos in the series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuYkB7Poi3Q&feature=channel_page

There's no need for that tool. I just replaced the spark plugs on my Saturn S-Series DOHC a few weeks ago and I only used a 5/8" Bluepoint spark plug socket, six inch extension, and a flex-head ratchet.

I made a typo in the third post above. I said Great Neck part no. 28005 was 5/8. Correcton: 28005 is 3/4". As to "There's no need for that tool". Richpin thinks so! He had a socket with the wobble extension taped up. You can see him use it in another of his video's. It is about changing spark plugs in a Saturn S series or something of that nature. In the http site I list about you can tell he is excited about getting this tool at an Auto Zone price. Or as excited as richpin ever gets.

I did a twin cam plugs not too long ago either with just straight normal sockets. I like spinning the extention without a wrench attached a couple turns to feel the plug going in straight. A wobble or universal would take away that feeling IMO.

The nice thing about the "richpin tool" is if you pull soundly upwards the rubber plug holding doodad has to release its grip before the extention seperates from the socket.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
There's no need for that tool. I just replaced the spark plugs on my Saturn S-Series DOHC a few weeks ago and I only used a 5/8" Bluepoint spark plug socket, six inch extension, and a flex-head ratchet.

There is not a need for a lot of tools I have bought. I got them for future repairs. Harbor Freight has too many things on sale.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Originally Posted By: The Critic

There is not a need for a lot of tools I have bought. I got them for future repairs. Harbor Freight has too many things on sale.
55.gif

Eh, I stopped going to Harbor Freight after I started using Snap-On tools.

ooooohhhh Snap-On man; pardon us. How are their soft sockets nowadays? What about their (supposedly) imported ratchet mechanisms? There are many good tool mfg still in the US - Wright Tools for example that aren't as overpriced as SO. Maybe I'm taking your statement incorrectly though.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
ooooohhhh Snap-On man; pardon us. How are their soft sockets nowadays? What about their (supposedly) imported ratchet mechanisms? There are many good tool mfg still in the US - Wright Tools for example that aren't as overpriced as SO. Maybe I'm taking your statement incorrectly though.

I was just trying to say that HF's quality is so poor that it's laughable.

As for their soft impact sockets, I have heard of the same complaint. However, AcuraTech told me that he has used the same 19mm impact socket from Snap-On for over 5 years and has taken off thousands of lug nuts without any issues.

As for the ratchet mechanisms, I've been told that the Dual 80 series ratchets (which is what I own) are Made in USA.

Ok. Fair enough.
cheers3.gif

That means AcuraTech bought that socket at least 5 years ago which is not what I'm talking about, namely last year or two. Anyway, my apologies to the OP for taking it so far off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back