MPG Increased After Using MMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using MMO on numberous fill ups and I would average anywhere from 23 to 23.9 average mpgs (combined city and highway). I decided to stop using MMO to see if my mpgs were affected. You bet! I'm now averaging anywhere from 1.9 to 2.5 increase in my mpg. I've noticed this on three successive tankfulls with no MMO. Any suggestions on why this is occurring? Not that I'm complaining. Any suggestions are appreciated.

P.S. I drive a 08 Lexus 350 with 15k miles on it.

Originally Posted By: brandini
additives will decrease the octane rating of fuel, increasing the amount needed for the equivalent release of energy

I think you've got it backwards in terms of energy, lower octane fuel actually has more energy in it but higher octane gas allows a more highly tuned engine to make more hp.
If the MMO is actually dropping the octane then the engine might be making slightly more power at small throttle openings giving slightly higher efficiency but I doubt 10% worth.
In any case he is saving some gas to pay for the MMO which may have nothing to do with your better mileage.

additives will decrease the octane rating of fuel, increasing the amount needed for the equivalent release of energy

I'm not sure I understand this?
Is there a coalition between Octane and Energy potential of a fuel (providing the test engine is the same in each test)

MMO will not ignite and explode like gasoline does. MMO basically waters down the gasoline. that's why i never use it anymore, just stick to tried and true 500:1 outboard oil. outboard oil is cheaper than MMO, and is specifically designed to to into an internal combustion engine.

Now try using outboard oil, the mileage will go up slightly, and now you have upper cylinder lubrication, and you are lubing the fuel injectors.

Originally Posted By: expat

Is there a coalition between Octane and Energy potential of a fuel (providing the test engine is the same in each test)

"octane" as it is used in the AKI index as displayed ona pump is really related to the volatility of the fuel. 93 octane is less volatile than 87, which is why one needs it in a tuned engine - it allows higher compression or more optimal spark timing without preignition or knock.

If there is an energy difference, it is likely very minimal.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: expat

"octane" as it is used in the AKI index as displayed ona pump is really related to the volatility of the fuel. 93 octane is less volatile than 87, which is why one needs it in a tuned engine - it allows higher compression or more optimal spark timing without preignition or knock.

If there is an energy difference, it is likely very minimal.

There is an energy difference, it can be on the order of 3% or higher between the highest and lowest available octane ratings at the pump. Have a look at the energy density of fuel as a function of octane rating.

Originally Posted By: waymay1305
I've been using MMO on numberous fill ups and I would average anywhere from 23 to 23.9 average mpgs (combined city and highway). I decided to stop using MMO to see if my mpgs were affected. You bet! I'm now averaging anywhere from 1.9 to 2.5 increase in my mpg. I've noticed this on three successive tankfulls with no MMO. Any suggestions on why this is occurring? Not that I'm complaining. Any suggestions are appreciated.

P.S. I drive a 08 Lexus 350 with 15k miles on it.

It could be a few things. For starters too much MMO, try reducing the dose. Winter time effects mpgs, with longer rich running starts, more idling. In your case since mpgs went up when you stopped using MMO, I would look at reducing the dose of MMO, or give TCW3 a try. Your engine might just like TCW3 better than MMO.

We buy fuel by volume, not weight. Lower octane components have a slightly higher density (ie more molecules per volume) than higher octane fuels. However, they are more prone to "shock ignition" during the rapid rise in pressure caused by spark ignition. Higher octane fuels are typically more spheroidal in shape if you build a molecular model. 2,2,4-trimethyl pentane has the same C/H numbers as n-octane, yet the former is more spherical with a defined octane rating of 100. The n-octane (linear) has, probably, a negative octane rating. According to an Internet source, the density of n-octane is .703 g/l while that of 2,2,4-trimethylpentane is .693 g/l.

Any Gas Mileage increases will come not from additional "energy" added to the fuel, but from more efficient use of the fuel via the cleaning of the valves, combustion chamber, and potential friction reductions via the additional UCL.

MMO does have TCP, which is stated to reduce mis-fires during combustion as well as it's lubricity benefits, which would also aid in better utilization of the fuel.

What I have noticed is that when I drive in the far right lane, my mileage goes up by 10% I think because the roads are slanted to the right and my fuel pump is on the right, the fuel has less resistance to flow (I am sure there are suckers who would buy that argument :)

Seriously, the only way to increase your gas mileage is to NOT drive like a maniac. Try it sometime.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Jax_RX8
Any Gas Mileage increases will come not from additional "energy" added to the fuel, but from more efficient use of the fuel via the cleaning of the valves, combustion chamber, and potential friction reductions via the additional UCL.

MMO does have TCP, which is stated to reduce mis-fires during combustion as well as it's lubricity benefits, which would also aid in better utilization of the fuel.

It can also increase compression in some engines by making a tighter ring seal, this was discussed somewhere on the MMO board. People reporting smoother running engines help back up that claim. TCW3, Lucas UCL can also do that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back