mower seized up after not being used since 2016?

I have 3 or 4 other pieces of ope that hadn't been used in a few years and they were fine, but I guess this one that's stuck has a cast iron liner in it. The rest that are okay are just aluminum bores. Opinions? can I pour diesel fuel down the spark plug hole? I'm not sure how stuck it is, but it didn't move when I pulled the cord.

Take the spark plug out try the pull cord. Sometimes the cylinder gets filled with oil from being on its side.

If that does not do it, squirt some oil in the spark plug hole and whack the back of the mower blade with a hammer.

Pull plug and check for obvious fluid in cylinder, as described in the post above. Was the air cleaner removed from this equipment while it was not in use? Valve open, steel liner, and moisture do not mix well. If cyl is empty, some MMO soak (or suitable oil solvent) in the cylinder, with the cylinder upright if at all possible and let it soak a day. Then try the rope and blade banging. Of course, before all this check the obvious, that the blade brake isn't rusted to the flywheel.

I'm not sure how stuck it is, but it didn't move when I pulled the cord.
Remove the oil fill plug on the engine and check the oil level. The only time I encountered a fully stuck Briggs and Stratton engine that would not turn at all was due to gasoline leaking past the carburetor needle seat and completely filling the crankcase and cylinder bore with liquid (i.e., gas + oil mixture) which is not compressible. Also, verify the deadman brake mechanism has not rusted in the shut position.

I would pull the cylinder head off for a look. The problem is if the steel cylinder wall has rusted enough to seize the engine, if you eventually free it up, the rust will certainly shorten the life of the rings when you get it running.

Set it up so oil can be poured in and sit on the piston for a bit. But eventually the head might have to come off, and then yo might to have an idea if it is worth repowering or scrapping.

If you take the top cover off, can you feel any play in the flywheel? stuck piston, I would think you might be able to feel just a fraction of movement, in the bearings. Good chance it needs to come off anyhow, what with critters and all.

Back