Move to Mint: MATE now or wait for 17.1 xfce?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I tried Linux Mint 17.1 MATE but ran into problems with integrated Nvidia graphics. This was a big issue with Ubuntu family OS's a few years ago---it caused me to give up on 12.04 LTS and run 10.04 LTS till past end of support---but it seems to be fixed in (X) Ubuntu 14.04. (Some might recall Mr. T's thoughts on Nvidia around that time.)

Now I am back on familiar ground, in Xubuntu 14.04 LTS. Love it. Will try Mint MATE when I get a new laptop next year. Might run it off the live DVD now and then to get used to it. I want to give other desktops and systems a fair try, but I find that XFCE as implemented in Xubuntu, with the packages from all over creation available, works perfectly for me.

Thanks for the advice and good luck with Mint. I will catch up with you guys soon....

Never thought of myself as a quitter in anything but I'm about at my wits end here. I've tried to make a bootable stick drive and have Linux Mint start when rebooted. No such luck. I even went out and bought this drive specifically for this purpose. I have followed the instructions to the letter off of a site that tells you how to do this. As much as I 'd like to try this, I've spent way too much time trying to get this to work only to end up spinning my wheels. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sierra048
Any ideas?

You've enabled booting from a USB stick in your computer's BIOS? You may also need to disable SecureBoot (tm) in order for your system to be allowed to boot any other OS than Windows (tm).

Failing that, a good ol' optical drive, if you have one and can write to a disc, ought to mitigate against some of the foibles inherent in trying to boot from a USB stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back