Mounting 185/65/14 on a steel wheel for 175/65/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why: wanted to upgrade from T rated to H rated tires of my preference (Yokohama Avid H4s or Kumho Solus KH16)

Car: 95 Corolla 1.6L, maybe a bit overkill but for the small price difference, why not?

So, I am wondering if I ask my installer to do it, will that be a problem for him? Will the additional width improve or reduce the road noise, comfort, and handling? I have no intention of driving this car hard, just daily driver.

The key to this fitment is the rim width. It turns out that the smaller tire size shares the same rim widths, so this will be compatible.

BTW, you can see more change between tires of different types (and changing from a T to an H would be changing types) than the change in tire size, but directionally you are going toward improved ride and handling. Noise is much more related to tire than size.

Quote:

Why: wanted to upgrade from T rated to H rated tires of my preference (Yokohama Avid H4s or Kumho Solus KH16)

Car: 95 Corolla 1.6L, maybe a bit overkill but for the small price difference, why not?

So, I am wondering if I ask my installer to do it, will that be a problem for him? Will the additional width improve or reduce the road noise, comfort, and handling? I have no intention of driving this car hard, just daily driver.

The 185/65 size was an option from Toyota when the car was new. It will give slightly lower speedometer/odometer readings than the 175/65, but not by much.

The question is, if you live and work in Silicon Valley, where it sometimes rains but never snows, why are you looking only at all-season tires? An all-season tire will give you some snow traction where a "summer" (3-season) tire will not, but the price you pay for the snow-traction gain is a rain-traction loss: all-season tires are much worse in the wet than summer tires. Have you considered getting a Sumitomo HTR 200 instead of the Avid H4S or Solus KH16?

Hm... I always thought that summer tire is louder, doesn't last as long, and more expensive, I guess it is not always the case. It seems like HTR200 is a good choice.

Update on the HTR200 if people still care:

Had 10k miles on them and so far they ride great, handle great, but needs more air than usual to keep it in the "handling" zone. I think it is due to their sidewall being softer than others and therefore if you fill it with less air, you get the "marshmallow" ride, and if you fill too much, your car will bounce. I raise from 30PSI to 37PSI as a compromise.

Grip is good, a bit louder than the older tires (surprised), car feels sporty and comfortable at the same time. Most people who enjoy driving will love it, but those who prefer absolute comfort should stay with Michelin or Kumho Solus KH16, or pay more for a better tire.

Still has 7/32 to 8/32 left after 10k miles, so I think it will last 40k-50k for me, about the same as other tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back