Motul 300V Trophy 0w40 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I only said it was not included in some of the top of the line full synthetics and Motul are not a major brand, although it has also gone missing from some fairly new conventional oils to no ill effect. I like to see around 100ppm in a non synthetic, but 6 or 700 ppm is more like a race oil and it means the Calcium and Magnesium based detergents will have been reduced. Oddly enough some of the 0/20's also high very high Moly levels, but I think that is protect the main block from thin oil effects.

Originally Posted By: dparm
13.2 vs 13.6 and 77.3 vs 75.7 are about 10% off. Not that bad. I would say the spec sheet is pretty close.

Those give a VI of 174.

Actually the Motul KV100 spec' is 3% low and the KV40 spec' is 2% high which results in the VI being 12 points lower than 186 published figure.

We've run across Motul publishing incorrect figures before.
Since the retested KV100 spec' isn't that far off I'd assume the stated HTHSV of 3.9cP isn't far off either; no lighter than 3.8cP likely. It's a solid 40wt oil.
That said I find the 174 VI a disappointment as it falls short of the benchmark 185 VI of M1 0W-40.

IMO the only ester based oil that has a clear advantage over M1 0W-40 (available on this side of the Atlantic) is RL 0W-40 with both a higher 4.0cP HTHSV and 197 VI.

Yes, it seems like all they're numbers are a bit lower than spec (8.25 spec TBN vs. 7.5 measured TBN).

It seems like there are a host of other oils with better specs at a lower price. I've heard that Motul is a great oil. What, if anything, makes it worth the high price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back