Motorcycle Urban Myths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: boraticus
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
On the opposite end of the loud pipes spectrum is pedestrians getting hit by Hybrid vehicles because they couldn't hear them and stepped in front of one....
48.gif

Was the person blind? Or is it possible that they were listening to their Ipod or Bluetooth ear piece?

Maybe their hearing had been momentarily impaired by being exposed to a very loud noise just prior to being struck?

Our vision is our first and most important sense. That's why we have traffic "lights" and traffic "signs" and are gifted with eyes to see them. Ever wonder why eyes are on the front of the head instead of our years.

I know it's crazy - but it was well written about when Hybrids started coming out. And YES it was blind people getting hit, you know blind people do get around...

Originally Posted By: V1
Making noise with a Harley is pretty much the status quo, but it's not the bike's fault. It's the rider abusing his noisy pipes. Incessant revving of engine, repetetive throttle movements, WOT acceleration at inappropriate times. He is "that guy," and that's what makes people shake their heads at Harleys in general, I think.

On the other hand, noisy bikes are definitely more noticeable. I can usually hear loud bikes approaching from behind. The blind spot issue is a real issue that does cause some accidents. I don't have the accident statistics, but the bottom line is that loud bikes do get people's attention. The quote that "Loud pipes save lives" is probably a little extreme, but I tend to agree with it.

Very well said. I have what some on here my consider loud pipes, but they are not drag pipes. I drive very conservatively around people, thru neighborhoods and such. My sound level is not abtrusive at all unless I go WOT. It is the very few that ruin it for all.

By the noise emitted by some bikes, I'd have to say yes.

Didn't see that one coming.

Look, I am not a fan of really noisy bikes. I'm equally annoyed by the guy who thinks his bike is the grace of all motorcycles just because it's really loud. I'm on your side with all that.

Haaaever, I'm willing to bet that louder pipes help avoid accidents by getting the attention of other motorists. Especially in blind spot situations.

V1 and GMBoy, you are wrong, wrong, wrong. Loud pipes, while being an obvious attempt just to draw attention to the owner of the vehicle, do not also function as a audible signal that brings attention to the vehicle. While this phenomenon seems contradictory, it is not. The noise emitted is specially designed by aftermarket pipe manufacturers to only provide noise to annoyance receptors in the brain. For nearby car drivers, the noise is magically diverted until after you pass the car, then it reverts to the specially designed noise mentioned above.

We need more government, and higher taxes, so that more of these facts, that are inherently known by the enlightened, can be spelled out for those of us that do not have this inherent knowledge. The old methods of gaining knowledge, like: observation, thinking, trial and error, studying history, scientific method, and others, will no longer suffice in the NWO. We need to be good subjects and OBEY.
sarcasm

Originally Posted By: cfromc
V1 and GMBoy, you are wrong, wrong, wrong. Loud pipes, while being an obvious attempt just to draw attention to the owner of the vehicle, do not also function as a audible signal that brings attention to the vehicle. While this phenomenon seems contradictory, it is not. The noise emitted is specially designed by aftermarket pipe manufacturers to only provide noise to annoyance receptors in the brain. For nearby car drivers, the noise is magically diverted until after you pass the car, then it reverts to the specially designed noise mentioned above.

We need more government, and higher taxes, so that more of these facts, that are inherently known by the enlightened, can be spelled out for those of us that do not have this inherent knowledge. The old methods of gaining knowledge, like: observation, thinking, trial and error, studying history, scientific method, and others, will no longer suffice in the NWO. We need to be good subjects and OBEY.
sarcasm

You still haven't told us how so many people riding with quiet exhaust systems manage to survive.

Ohhhh, that is a hard one. Isn't it?

sarcasm

You still haven't told us how so many people riding with quiet exhaust systems manage to survive.

Ohhhh, that is a hard one. Isn't it?

I'm under no obligation to tell you anything and I never said driving around with a quiet exhaust was going to kill you, did I? Do you have me confused with someone else? You've decided to ride around with the increased risk of an accident due to your quiet exhaust and I have no problem with that. It is your personal choice.

sarcasm

You mean to tell me you've NEVER had a bike next to you with loud pipes and you knew they were right next to your door?? Yeah right! Just on the freeway TODAY I heard a sport bike with a loud [censored] muffler coming up along side of me. I heard him BEFORE I saw him. Yes, he was louder as he passed me - but I still knew he was right along side of me by a good car length behind until he got next to me.

Again - I am not saying loud pipes are great and I understand some folks dislike them. I'm just saying you HEAR them -that's all for Pete's sake!

So you're wrong. You can hear the bike coming up on you. But you are right that they will be even louder once past you.

"You've decided to ride around with the increased risk of an accident due to your quiet exhaust and I have no problem with that. It is your personal choice."

Have a bit of a problem with that line.

I've been riding quiet bikes for over 30 years (other than off road race bikes). Had a few close calls when I was young and green. I didn't run out to change my exhaust to something louder. I smartened up and learned how to ride defensively. Why aggravate the rest of the riding public with loud pipes when all that is needed is to learn the right way to ride. Noise will never compensate for sensible riding habits.

Two guys died on bikes here in my home town last year. One was on a modified sport bike and the other on a modified Harley. Both with loud pipes. Left hand turns by oncoming vehicles killed them. Loud pipes and all.

I had a left hand turn incident last year. I was stopped at an intersection and the light had changed to green in my favour. I saw a car approaching the intersection from the right and not showing indications of slowing down. I had the green, I could have gone but I saw the clown coming and stayed put. The idiot drove right through his red light and made a left hand turn right beside me. I'm sure that if I had loud pipes and was sitting there revving my engine like an imbecile, he wouldn't have done what he did.

You can argue all you want for loud pipes. Noise will NEVER replace brains.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

sarcasm

You mean to tell me you've NEVER had a bike next to you with loud pipes and you knew they were right next to your door?? Yeah right! Just on the freeway TODAY I heard a sport bike with a loud [censored] muffler coming up along side of me. I heard him BEFORE I saw him. Yes, he was louder as he passed me - but I still knew he was right along side of me by a good car length behind until he got next to me.

Again - I am not saying loud pipes are great and I understand some folks dislike them. I'm just saying you HEAR them -that's all for Pete's sake!

So you're wrong. You can hear the bike coming up on you. But you are right that they will be even louder once past you.

Re-read my post, it was tongue-in-cheek.

Originally Posted By: OnTheFence

Myth: You meet the niceset people on a Honda.

This was an advertising slogan, not a myth -- unless you believe every ad you see.....

sarcasm

All safety noise aside, still doesn't excuse the fact that most of the straight pipes are illegal, because many clearly state they are for off-road use or racing. That alone means they shouldn't be used on the street.

Again, if loud pipes only affected the people that use them, then more power to ya, but they affect everyone -- especially other motorcyclists who are trying to obey the law and ride safely. This will ultimately impact all motorcyclists when the general public gets sick of all the unnecessary noise from SOME selfish riders and pressure governments to take action against motorcyclists in general.

Last edited:
I have a question. If loud pipes save lives, why don't they come from the factory that way?

Originally Posted By: Samilcar
I have a question. If loud pipes save lives, why don't they come from the factory that way?

Because loud pipes have NOTHING to do with safety.

Safety is just an excuse that loud pipe enthusiasts use to reflect from the real reasons they use them. And that is, to get attention.

And that is, to get attention.

Using your own words to prove the opposing point of view. Clever.

Originally Posted By: Zedhed

sarcasm

All safety noise aside, still doesn't excuse the fact that most of the straight pipes are illegal, because many clearly state they are for off-road use or racing. That alone means they shouldn't be used on the street.

Again, if loud pipes only affected the people that use them, then more power to ya, but they affect everyone -- especially other motorcyclists who are trying to obey the law and ride safely. This will ultimately impact all motorcyclists when the general public gets sick of all the unnecessary noise from SOME selfish riders and pressure governments to take action against motorcyclists in general.

Why should we have bikes that go over 70 MPH on the street? Have you ever gone 1 MPH over the speed limit? You'd be the only person I know that didn't if you said no. Speeding has the potential to affect everyone a lot more than loud pipes, yet bikes come straight from the factory with the capability to go well over 150 MPH, double any US speed limit I'm aware of. Seriously, do people have so few worries that the occasional loud pipe upsets them that much? Do I really care what the general sheep, I mean "public" care about? NO. By the time those subjects pressure governments to take away all liberties it will be too late for something as trivial as exhaust noise to matter anyway.

And that is, to get attention.

Using your own words to prove the opposing point of view. Clever.

I agree that it could be construed that way if, in fact that was the side of the argument you are trying to support.

However, I'm certain that the vast majority of riders who do not subscribe to obtrusively noisy exhaust know exactly what kind of attention loud pipe supporters crave.

Reality is, that safety has nothing to do with that kind of attention. It's just a handy excuse to deflect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back