Motorcycle Oil Suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is in reference to use in my motorcycle, but since there's not motorcycle I figured this is the best location...

I have a 2007 Triumph Daytona 675 that is a track-only bike, so this is a high-rev (13,900 redline), high load application. The transmission shares oil with the engine, so energy-conserving oils are a no-no (clutch slippage). I currently use Mobile 1 4T Racing 10W-40.

I've long been a fan of Rotella T Syn and have thought of switching to it due to the low price for such a high-quality oil. Would I lose any protection from the 10W base of the Mobil 1 going to the 5W base of the Rotella?

Opinions/thoughts? I know both are excellent oils, so the difference is probably negligible, but my application can be considered 'extreme' so I'm concerned none-the-less.

Thanks!

WELCOME! There is a motorcycle oil section and a race section here. I would run a race synthetic - you may be leaving a lot of power in the sump with the rotella - even though its JASO rated.

Well, I see it now. If a mod reads this I wouldn't mind my thread moved to the appropriate section...

Last edited:
How often are you changing it out? What is the recommended oil for your bike? Does your manual list more than one viscosity like for different temp ranges? I run T6 in my cbr600, though it's not a track bike and I don't push it like I'm sure you are pushing your bike. A lot of people advocate going to a 50 weight for track bikes, maybe mobil 1 15w-50. If you change it often enough I think rotella t 15w-40 would be a good choice since it's so cheap.

That Motul 300V is reputed to be the best racing oil out there. Personally I think the M-1 that he's currently using is a pretty good choice too.

Originally Posted By: chambers
How often are you changing it out? What is the recommended oil for your bike? Does your manual list more than one viscosity like for different temp ranges? I run T6 in my cbr600, though it's not a track bike and I don't push it like I'm sure you are pushing your bike. A lot of people advocate going to a 50 weight for track bikes, maybe mobil 1 15w-50. If you change it often enough I think rotella t 15w-40 would be a good choice since it's so cheap.

Recommended for my bike is 10W-4o or 15W-50. I change it every 4 tracks days or so. I'm honestly not sure what the recommended change interval is - because it's a track-only bike I base my maintenance on number of track days, not mileage.

I'm sure the Motul is a great oil, but for $67 for a 4 liter bottle I think I'll pass.

Vavoline does make a real race oil, and VR1 ain't it.
VR1 synthetic is Synpower dyed blue with an extra dose of ZDDP.
That extra dose is enough for the oil to be an API SL, though.
I ran VR1 synthetic 10W-30 in the Forester last summer.
It was FAR, and I had always wanted to try Synpower.

Originally Posted By: BrianW1280

Recommended for my bike is 10W-4o or 15W-50. I change it every 4 tracks days or so. I'm honestly not sure what the recommended change interval is - because it's a track-only bike I base my maintenance on number of track days, not mileage.

I'd see if you can find a triumph forum and ask those guys who track their bikes what they recommend for weight and OCI. You could also run an oil for your usual interval and get a UOA when you change it. Then repeat w/ say 15w-50 mobil 1 and then w/ rotella t6 or 15w-40 and compare. From a cost standpoint I think rotella 15w-40 is a good choice b/c you could change it twice as often if you wanted to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrianW1280
but since there's not motorcycle I figured this is the best location...

Well, we do have a motorcycle subforum here. That is exactly where we discuss motorcycle oil.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back