Motorcraft FL820S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! thanks for the response, I always keep an eye open on ebay for good deals.

Thanks again

frank
grin.gif

Purolator Premium Plus L24651
Purolator Pure One PL24651
Penzoil (FRAM) PZ-42
Valvoline (Champion) VO-55
Quaker State - QZ-2
Fram (various Lines)- PG2, EG2, TG2
Wix 51372
Napa Gold (Wix) 1372
Napa Silver (Wix) 31372
ACDelco PF1250
Supertech ST-2
Casite (Hastings/Baldwin Cheapie line) CA-110

I have the carquest base and premiuim lines- don't have the numers handy, but they are the same product as the Napa silver and gold lines.

No FL1A on this setup. Different Threads (Metric vs. Standard), etc...

Wasn't Casite oil filters the one with "prison attired person"(am I PC correct?) on the filter? Of course this goes back some 25+ years. This oil filter was also rated "poorly" by "Consumer Reports", I know what you're thinking, because it did not have "normal filter media", but something resembling ground up newspaper. Just curious as to whether anybody else remembers this or am I ready for the "home"
gr_eek2.gif

Whimsey

metroplex,? why did you say" stick with the fl-820s filters for the 4.6 and 5.4 ? will i get a good flow and filtration from this filter? i have a 4.6 and a 5.4 and i use delvac 1 with 2 qts 15w40 redline oil for some moly..

In general, the ansewr on why to stick with the motorcraft FL-820s is because its cheap (2.97 at most Wal-marts), and is the filter Ford designed for these engines. Other manufacturers have reverse engineered this filter to come up with their filters. Why not stick with the original (as obviously one would think Ford knew what they were doing when specing it for these engines) and get a good deal at the same time?

We have two 4.6L F-150's in the family. One is a 97 Lariat with 180,000 miles and the other is a 2001 XL SCab with a whole bunch of mods. (I call it my sleeper xl). Both have run the FL-820S (same filter required by the 5.4L). If the filter wasn't do its job, the 97 wouldn't have lasted 180,000 miles plus (still going strong!). I have used the K&N 2010, but I was a little irritated by the antidrainback valve noise (a clapping sound). If you are going to change your filter every 3000-5000 miles then the FL-820S (Purolator) can't be beat, even if you use synthetics. In the 97 we use Mobil 1 10W-30 and in my truck, I use Red Line 10W-30.

[ June 01, 2003, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: mf150 ]

Have also come across some other cross-reference if not already mentioned:

FLEETGUARD LF3681
(upgrade is LF16002)

ACDELCO PF1250

DONALDSON P550965

WIX 51372

Am waiting for reply on media composition in FLEETGUARD upgrade.

Had a quick reply from Fleetguard:

FL16002 is the synthetic "Stratapore" medium!

FL3681 is cellulose.

Am glad to find that an industry-leading filter medium is available for the modular Ford V8 as I'm about to buy one.

If you substitute for the Ford filter you might want to take into considerations that they specifically spec'd the filter to have the bypass valve at the front end so that if it goes into bypass it will not wash dirt off of the filter element and put it through the lube system. Others may or maynot have the same setup. They also have a good grade silicone backflow preventer as the cam chains are tensioned by oil pressure and it is important that the oil pressure come up fast on the ohc engine.

I am going to try a donaldson equvilent of the fl1a. I cut apart a donadlson and fleetguard and they are idential on the inside. both have the bypass valve in the filter opposite the threads. I know this is not the spec for chysler slant six or ford. I think, however, that filtering effiency of 7 microns nominal and 1psid drop in pressure at 10gpm will do the job with mobil1. This is not nearly as critical as having to get the overhead cams lubed or the tensioners fed. It ought to work ok on my application, but I would still be leery of not knowing where the bypass was in the fl820s fleetguard equivalent.

I would think my slant six is much more tolerant of and occasional splash of dirt than overhead cam engines are.

Dan

I don't understand why everyone always wants to sub these Motorcraft filters with something else.

The FL-1A, FL-820S, and FL-400 are $2.77 at the local Wal-mart. They also have the superior top bypass and use good quality media.

Each to his own I guess...

jsharp, I have 2 Fords. I use the 820S on one vehicle and do not sub. However, I do sub the 1A with the Wix 51515 because it has a silicone ADV in addition to all the 1A features. I happen to value the silicone material in ADV designs over nitril otherwise I'd probably stick with the FL-1A.

[ July 02, 2003, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: Roger ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back