Motorcraft FL820S oil filter vs Kendall equivalent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been getting oil changes for my Ford Escape at Firestone Tire / Auto Care because I get my tires there and they rotate them. They use Kendall oil and filters (or at least they say they do). I'm thinking of doing my own oil change. I would use Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w20 and the Motorcraft 820S oil filter. I've read that the 820S is a great filter. I can't find any reviews of the Kendall filters.
So my question is, what do people think of Firestone Tire Kendall oil filters? Is it significantly better for my car to do my own change and use Motorcraft oil and the filter? The funny thing is that with a coupon, it's almost cheaper to have Firestone do the change than buy the oil and filter myself. This makes me wonder what they are doing to make it so cheap. Thoughts? Especially on the Kendall brand oil filter?

There making no money performing an oil & filter change at that price. Providing cheap oil changes provides them an opportunity to upsell other services and/or find other issues in an attempt to profit from. I.E., sir, your tires are worn out, we can slap a set of Bridgestones for $675. Or, your front brake pads are almost to the wear limit. We can install new pads for $179 plus shop fees and tax.

I'm sure they are saving some money by using lesser quality filters,but I haven't seen any recent discussion on exactly what's inside a Kendall filter. Typically oil change places use a lower tier filter though made by many different manufacturers.

You won't find any actual studies proving that a better oil filter gets you any measurable engine life but I still like filters with better specs which is why I like the Fram Ultra which has the best specs on filtration and holding capacity.

Kendall oil is a ConocoPhillips product. All the Conoco/Phillips66/Super76/etc. oil filters I've come across have been Purolator.

I would say the Motorcraft is a step up if only a slight one.

Kendall oil is one of the best conventionals money can buy IMO. Motorcraft, Trop Artic, and Kendall are all oils blended by ConocoPhillips. I would say that's an even switch going from Kendall to Motorcraft oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
There making no money performing an oil & filter change at that price. Providing cheap oil changes provides them an opportunity to upsell other services and/or find other issues in an attempt to profit from. I.E., sir, your tires are worn out, we can slap a set of Bridgestones for $675. Or, your front brake pads are almost to the wear limit. We can install new pads for $179 plus shop fees and tax.

I know they don't make money on the oil change. I just want to make sure they aren't giving me bad oil or filters, and see if I'd be better off changing my own oil and using Motorcraft oil and filter. I've bought at least two sets of tires from them, and they come with free rotation, so I do the oil change at the same time. They always recommend additional work, which I say no thanks to. Again, I'm just wondering if it would be better for my car to change my own oil. It wouldn't save me any money, but if I got longer life, it would pay off that way.
I was also surprised by the lack of any information out there (at least that I could find) on Kendall oil filters.

If you want an answer to your specific question I will say that No you won't get any more life changing your oil yourself but at least you'd know the job was done right, if you think they do good work let them continue and keep declining the extra work.

If you want to contribute ask them for an extra filter and cut it open and post pictures.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If you want to contribute ask them for an extra filter and cut it open and post pictures.

Or ask them to give you the used filter that was on the car, then cut that one open to see what it looks like. Mark the filter somehow, so you know it was the one off your car.

A while back, I cut and posted a Firestone Oil filter:

Here

It wasn't a Kendall branded filter. As you can see, it was not a great filter as the media had massive gaps and the can was -no joke- soda can thin.

I get my oil changed at Firestone for my company truck because its convenient and its a corporate account. I asked to see a oil filter for my truck and it was E-core, which I despise. I may change oil changers now that I know that. I don't want to be on the hook if a truck blows up and I doubt management will understand me explaining about E-cores. I had one blow up years ago. It threw a rod idling. A Ford 4.6 with only 95,000 miles. The oil was changed a day early at a Texaco quick change and only driven approx. 35 miles before it threw a rod though the block. The oil didn't look like motor oil, it clear looking and I think they actually put power steering fluid in it. The drum they were using for "5w20" the next day had a big sign on it "Power Steering Fluid". I told management they had a case with the oil change dealer, they just sold the truck to a salvage yard and moved on. I have a distrust for quick lubes after that.

If you can stand the upselling and the waiting, I think that firestone does a good job with oil changes.

I had a 4.6 Grand Marquis they would do the oil changes never a problem.

I started going to the dealer, because they were only $24.99 for the same service, and I got OEM parts.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I get my oil changed at Firestone for my company truck because its convenient and its a corporate account. I asked to see a oil filter for my truck and it was E-core, which I despise. I may change oil changers now that I know that. I don't want to be on the hook if a truck blows up and I doubt management will understand me explaining about E-cores. I had one blow up years ago. It threw a rod idling. A Ford 4.6 with only 95,000 miles. The oil was changed a day early at a Texaco quick change and only driven approx. 35 miles before it threw a rod though the block. The oil didn't look like motor oil, it clear looking and I think they actually put power steering fluid in it. The drum they were using for "5w20" the next day had a big sign on it "Power Steering Fluid". I told management they had a case with the oil change dealer, they just sold the truck to a salvage yard and moved on. I have a distrust for quick lubes after that.

Wow! What a story! And definitely one on the side of changing your own oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back