Motorcraft 5w20 Synthetic Blend Base Oil Research

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: modularv8
VI for WTO (8042-47-5) b]108[/b]
VI for HBO (64742-54-7) 97

So the base oil in MC5w20 has a higher VI than the synthetic base oil that most other synthetics utilize.

Group II+ HBOs have a VI of 115+, group IIIs 120+.

A VI of 97 sounds like a group I base oil.

Originally Posted By: mettech
Outstanding oil.. and Excellent car the 2010 is. We got a 2.5L SEL, 302A package with Nav in Sept and get 31.6 MPG.
25.gif
0911091817a.jpg

31.6 MPG is fantastic mileage for a car that size...I see more and more Fusions every day...Its a great looking car.

Yeppers. Rode from S.A. to Ft Worth last weekend in the exact same car that a buddy just bought. 4 of us went to the Nascar race in it. 300 miles at 70 mph (bunch of cops) and with the AC on it averaged 32 mpg up and 33 mpg back. That new 2.5L is amazing. I was impressed!
34.gif

Thanks for informative post. I know it's an oil form, but must
say I bought an 09 Merc Milan 4cy auto/air/sunroof/Microsoft
sync in Jan for the unbelieveable price of $16,300. My wife
drives it on short city trips to see her patients everyday.
Use nothing but MC semi-syn and change it every 4 months or
5K. It has not used a drop of oil, consistently gets 24 to
26MPG in town (depends on temperature and AC use) and here's
"the kicker" for me.....MY MILAN IS THE ONLY NEW CAR OF 22 THAT I
HAVE BOUGHT THAT HAS NOT HAD EVEN ONE WARRANTY ISSUE OR NEEDED
TO HAVE DEFECTS FIXED IN THE FIRST 9 MONTHS...and that list includes
a Honda, a Acura, a Mercedes, a Jeep, a Hyundai, and two
Infiniti's in the last 5 years which all had multiple defects
and trips back to the dealers!

Last edited:
Thats great! It's nice to hear that about any new car anymore but especially a domestic one. If it's about my beloved Ford it's even better!
thumbsup2.gif
grin2.gif

That is all fine and well if your car is recomended to use a 5W20. Most of us old timers on here pushed Motor craft 5W20 as the starting point that everyone should use when trying to find a 5W20 or 0W20 that you and your engine liked! So it is not news really it is more a technical confirmation of what we had long ago seen in the UOA when 5W20 first came out. When it first came out Ford was for a short time the only game in town for an OTC 5W20.

Excellent information. Interesting because the base oil in MC5w20 is by definition a group III oil based on the 60% paraffin composition, 0% aromatics, full saturation, and purity, but falls just shy in the VI category (making it group II+) because of its lower average molecular weight. There are group III fluids by VI definition that have more impurities than lower VI base oils. Wonder what the synthetic component is in this oil.

They are considering the base oils a synthetic blend.

Originally Posted By: Motorcraft
Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil is manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, synthetic/hydroprocessed base oils and specially designed performance additives

Not entirely, but it is II+. The Esko calculator gives an estimate, but Petro Canada sells it also as a base oil and lists it as a group II+ with "synthetic" product performance.

Originally Posted By: JustinC25
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

I would have to give the nod to PACKARD for best ignition wire hands down - even many Japanese Mfg use them as OEM. The Fords do feel robust in hand though. Dilectric leakage is another issue though. Secondary wires are going the way of the do-do. Esp on a Diesel
wink.gif

Which Japanesse manufactures use Packard wires ?

I've only seen them on GM's.

My Camry uses Sumitomo wires.

Currently - Fuji Heavy Ind. (Subaru) - They also had used OEM Champion spark plugs ( in a heat range I couldnt find - #8) And they did outperform the hated* NGK equivalent.

* premature GND strap erosion and preign tendencies

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SAJEFFC
Thats great! It's nice to hear that about any new car anymore but especially a domestic one. If it's about my beloved Ford it's even better!
thumbsup2.gif
grin2.gif

Milan and Fusion are imports. Made in Hermosillo, Mexico. Time to buy U.S. (but not gm?) It where their made thats more important than Brand. Where its made give us many blue collar and dirty whire collar jobs. 18% unemployment now, guys(the 10% is just those collecting).

Every major auto-manfacturer has global operations, like Ford. Ford is founded and headquartered in the U.S. with major operations in America. Ford is an American company. My truck is built in Kansas, MO.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: SAJEFFC
thumbsup2.gif
grin2.gif

Milan and Fusion are imports. Made in Hermosillo, Mexico. Time to buy U.S. (but not gm?) It where their made thats more important than Brand. Where its made give us many blue collar and dirty whire collar jobs. 18% unemployment now, guys(the 10% is just those collecting).
Whatever dude. Go somewhere else and troll. I've been associated with Ford for 28 years and they are the only one's doing it right at this time. I don't care if the Fusion is built in Puckeyhuttle Ethopia it's still a Ford and Ford is an American company and the PROFITS go here. Enough said!
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Kudos to Ford for not taking our gov't tax money. No company should be allowed to do so. Our country needs good jobs. I believe that global competition is often times making it necessary to offshore manufacturing jobs. Frankly, where profits go doesn't mean much when more and more people are being laid off here at home. Growing a business and creating jobs is not the same as being profitable. I don't care if "Ethipians" have jobs. They don't pay any US taxes. BUT, the people in Indiana who built my Toyota DO pay taxes. And those people are contributing to our economy, not taking from it. I'm sure being non-union helps Toyota resource it's manufacturing here. I wonder if Toyota has more Americans working for them than Ford does. Hmmm.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back