Motor wear test results - Interesting read

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darn, I was hoping that the Schaeffer 9000 series would have been tested to see where it ranks. But, I realize that one can only test so many products and the ones that sell the most would be the prime candidates. Oh well, my loss.

Look at the difference between 1 PU 5w-30 and 31 PU 5w-20, both SM.
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD
^ ^ ^ ^ on the 5w-20.

wow!pen ultra is 10% better in this test then its closest competitor at 230 degree?wow,thawt is a huge gap (especially at those temperature ,I mean the higher the temp the less strength the oil can take but this one still is 10% better then the rest!
oh I believe it is valid all right!but not the complete picture ,as you will have notice some oil weren't tested (trucking industry oil,like mobil delvac le5w30 or t6 0w40)but it give a very good baseline of comparision!

Originally Posted By: focathelonewolf
Thank you very much for sharing

But Mobil is a brand that has WAY too much similar products
I would really appreciate it if anybuddy can tell me which one of these has the same formula or results as the one he tested so that I don't buy the wrong one
thank you very much!! ^^

http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=266&t=2646102&p=1 -->Mobil 1 5W50 Excellent Wear Protection (Advanced Full Synthetic)
http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?11090326871716 -->Mobil 1 5W50 The World’s Leading Synthetic Motor Oil (Fully Synthetic)
http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21105110292802 -->Mobil 1 15W50 The World’s Leading Synthetic Motor Oil (Advanced Full Synthetic)
http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21104081486555 -->Mobil 1 5W30 The World’s Leading Synthetic Mtoro Oil (Advanced Full Synthetic)

I would have to change my motor oil very soon
Please help me
I do not wish to buy the wrong one
Thanks in advance!!

Please help me
Thanks in advance!!

What are you buying for? Read this, answer the questions, and then we might be able to help you. All the oils you listed are the "right ones" for various applications. So, we cannot assist without some further information.

Garak, very true on needs of oil per different functions. Lets test a 20w50 synthetic in Iceland..Sounds like a task for the BBC Top Gear guys. I'm sure Clarkson will make it work, or cheat to make things funny and interesting. Motor oil like toilet paper, not everyone needs the best to get by and its gonna get flushed anyways.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Please help me
Thanks in advance!!

What are you buying for? Read this, answer the questions, and then we might be able to help you. All the oils you listed are the "right ones" for various applications. So, we cannot assist without some further information.

I mean
I wish to buy the one with the same formula as the Mobil 5w30 API SN he tested
^^

Ahh, I see. First, then, we can eliminate all the 50 grades, since you're mentioning the 5w-30 SN. The one here would appear to be the one in question, since it's the latest SN/GF-5 version. We do have to be cautious that oils do get reformulated and there are batch variances, so expecting things to be identical can be problematic.

I am so sick of seeing 540 RAT's oil test all over the internet. It is bunk. The best way to test an oils anti wear ability is to test it is in a running engine.

Any thing other than that is measuring the gas mileage of a Caddy going down hill or measuring the wattage of a stereo amp driving a simple passive resister with a sign wave (industry standard). You have to try to create the real world. Real Music playing threw a real speaker

He also has no way of knowing if the oil in test has had the ZDDP AW fully activated or not, some types of zddp activate quicker than others but they are more volatile. Way too un-scientific.

Dan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back