Motor Trend's "Oily Bits" article on GDI oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
GDI-optimized oil

Turbo direct-injected engines operate at higher temperatures that can oxidize particles of soot that get into the oil and absorb the additives that prevent wear. Valvoline researchers are finding that replacing calcium-based detergent additives with magnesium-based compounds can prolong oil life in such engines.

My first thought was that if magnesium is beneficial in GDI, why do all the Valvoline oils use Sodium rather than Magnesium in their add packs? Mobil and Castrol currently use magnesium in some of their products...while lowering the calcium.

Mobil has been ahead of the curve on this. Back in 2012 I emailed Mobil about the use of Mg in their SN oils along with the slightly lower TBN. They mentioned LSPI as part of the reason.

*i would add that BP/Castrol is also ahead of the game on this issue.

Boutique brands are way behind on this where you will often find them using 3,200-3,800 ppm of Ca. Should not be a surprise to anyone on here who pays attention to formulation trends where we often see the boutique brands lagging behind in modern additive technology. Lack of R&D, budget contraints and reliance on suppliers.

Originally Posted By: buster
Boutique brands are way behind on this where you will often find them using 3,200-3,800 ppm of Ca. Should not be a surprise to anyone on here who pays attention to formulation trends where we often see the boutique brands lagging behind in modern additive technology. Lack of R&D, budget contraints and reliance on suppliers.

I was really excited about some numbers I saw for Amsoil SS 5W30, and then I saw the massive calcium dose.
Stuck with M1.
That Amsoil looks like a fantastic oil for a non-DIT engine.

Mobil has been ahead of the curve on this. Back in 2012 I emailed Mobil about the use of Mg in their SN oils along with the slightly lower TBN. They mentioned LSPI as part of the reason.

Which M1 version was this for?

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN

Which M1 version was this for?

Just regular old M1 5w-20/30 are lower calcium, higher magnesium. You don't even have to go to any of their other variants.

1160 Ca and 772 Magnesium for 5w-30. That's half the Ca of most of the Sopus oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back