most techs don't get a 2 week notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
2 weeks notice is old school, the world is very mobile nowadays and your new company may not want to wait . Basically come and go when ready is the script that I see nowadays. Nobody does the two weeks thing anymore.

2 or 3 days at the most, that will give them time for an exit interview if you do that.

Maybe so, but I give two weeks.

The last two weeks at my last job were actually pretty good. Coincidentally, during my last two weeks they put gyrometers/GPS trackers in the delivery trucks for the first time...previously we were not monitored at all. The company gave a two week grace period for "infractions," and my boss told me to have at it, as the data would be relayed to him and he would know what the drivers could get away with. The big brother device in my Colorado spent the last week beeping warnings like crazy. The "fired immediately" speeding limit was something like 75 MPH...I did a sustained 90 MPH on the interstate with the tracking device going berzerk. I left on very good terms with that company, and was told I could come back at any time. My boss also thanked me for giving two weeks rather than just bailing on them. They understood why I was leaving, and it wasn't because my experience there was bad, I was just offered something better that I couldn't pass up. I was able to build bridges when leaving rather than burn them. I have no problems walking into the store I used to work at and buying things or just shooting the [censored] with my former coworkers...and I have done so.

If the relationship with the employer is bad though, or just not very good, things can go differently and one should be prepared to hit the road at any time. Every company and every employer/employee relationship is different. You kind of know whether or not two weeks is worth it, but whenever two weeks is doable, do it. You never know who you will cross paths with again and under what circumstances.

FWIW, I have also been told more than once by new employers that if I wanted to start early, I could. A lot of companies don't like waiting around for a new hire they have in the works, they just do it out of courtesy.

A 2 week notice would be in order, if you were treated fairly while there.
If that was not the case, walk out with no notice. Don't even look back!

Always give two weeks. Its your name and reputation. You never know where your paths may cross again, and its best to not burn bridges.

If they let you go on the spot, ask your new employer if you may start earlier than discussed. Most places will jump at the chance to get you earlier - there is generally a reason they are looking for help and it isn't because they are overstaffed.

Be prepared to get your tools out of there on the spot.

When i worked for merchants I got let go Dec.31st with no indication prior. I was hired by firestone the same day and never looked back. I can say from experience that theres better value at the Stone.
smile.gif

I feel its about reciprocation of respect and courtesy.

Leaving amicably, professionally give your 2 weeks
Then go down from there based on additude.
At least, I'd give till the end of the current wokr ing week, or 1 week. Don't quit if there gonna fire you.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
If you are a good Technician, You will never be fired.

No longer true. I could give you the name of a dealership that had every single tech forced out of their job and the dealership had a complete turnover of techs in less than a year.

2 weeks is a minimum notice. Some companies don't want to risk an employee doing damage, and will terminate the employment at the time of the notice. Quite frankly that's the sort of company I would neither have nor work for. It may or may not be the type of company by whom ram_man is employed, but if he wants to maintain his integrity he will offer at least 2 weeks notice.

2 weeks notice is old school, the world is very mobile nowadays and your new company may not want to wait . Basically come and go when ready is the script that I see nowadays. Nobody does the two weeks thing anymore.

2 or 3 days at the most, that will give them time for an exit interview if you do that.

That's complete nonsense. Last year we had a general manager leave us (he had a job offer at a winery in California closer to his wife's family). He gave us 30 days notice, and we were able to smoothly transition him out and our new GM in.

We have a very low turnover, but when someone does leave we've never had them give us less than 2 weeks notice.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I have a new job. I took the drug test today and pending that and doing paper work tomorrow I'm all set. I've been told a lot of employers don't give mechanics there 2 week notice and get rid of them immediately. Knowing this and my boss didn't give the old cleaner we had his 2 weeks should I not tell him till last minute or should I give the 2 weeks anyway. I can't afford to be out of work long so I do not want to miss a pay check because of him not giving me 2 weeks.

Give him the two weeks. Not only to avoid burning a bridge, but also (in every state I've lived) if you give 2 week notice, then the boss tells you to get out, you are entitled to the pay for those two weeks.

No offense to technicians, but in non-owner, non-professional positions, I'm not so sure a two week departure courtesy actually exists. After all, does the company offer such a courtesy? It's a two way street and one party doesn't get better terms than the other. What are the contractual terms?

Again, no oftense, but most techs are a dime a dozen. A truly gifted and skilled one is worth their weight in gold, but an everyday tech can easily be replaced, which is why the company doesn't try to give two weeks notice and a normal layoff, but rather fires immediately. So the opposite action should look the same. Now, if from experience and or contract, two weeks is given, then by all means do it. But at the same time if being fired vs laid off doesn't entitle you to unemployment, there is lots to consider.

Optimally the op would be able to support himself for two weeks, and the new job would be able to start sooner, and then he could give a professional courtesy. But there are too many ifs there...

"2 week notice, always. It's your reputation at stake. And work your last day like you worked your first." AGREE.
I had to quit bricklaying because of economy, went to work in coal mine. 18yrs later coal mine sold out, 450 people out on the street. Made 1 phone call to old bricklayer boss....went to work that Monday.
Quit, but quit nicely, because you never know!

This thread is interesting. I have given bad references for former employees that just walked out and didn't give a courtesy notice. A lack of integrity reflects in all aspects of a person's life, not just their job.

Regardless of how other's treat you, you should do what is right. Thank your former employer for allowing you to work there, be courteous and kind to everyone, and take that positive attitude with you to the next business.

To state that courtesy (and integrity) are old school is a shame. Our society is in a rapid state of decline and certainly doesn't need another self-centered band memeber.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
No offense to technicians, but in non-owner, non-professional positions, I'm not so sure a two week departure courtesy actually exists. After all, does the company offer such a courtesy? It's a two way street and one party doesn't get better terms than the other. What are the contractual terms?

Again, no oftense, but most techs are a dime a dozen. A truly gifted and skilled one is worth their weight in gold, but an everyday tech can easily be replaced, which is why the company doesn't try to give two weeks notice and a normal layoff, but rather fires immediately. So the opposite action should look the same. Now, if from experience and or contract, two weeks is given, then by all means do it. But at the same time if being fired vs laid off doesn't entitle you to unemployment, there is lots to consider.

Optimally the op would be able to support himself for two weeks, and the new job would be able to start sooner, and then he could give a professional courtesy. But there are too many ifs there...

JHZR2,

You took the words out of my mouth. Mechanics are here today... gone tomorrow.
In this line of work they will find another person and it will be business as usual at the shop.

^^^Excellent. I am in agreement with this.

Integrity doesn't change due to circumstances. You either have some or not.

When I was young I never burned my bridges, it saved my butt more than once...

I agree that in most cases, a proper notice should be given to your employer.
However, if I was in a hostile workplace, I would leave ASAP. This has nothing to do with integrity. This has to do with self respect.

I retired after 34 years at one workplace. After retirement, I worked at another business for a time, I gave a 2 week notice before I left. I did this for the benefit of the company, not mine. (I knew that was going to be my last work for pay.)

As a follow up to my previous post.
I know there are mean spirited employers that would follow an ex-employee just to give them a unsatisfactory reference.
I would not be concerned with that, at all!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
2 weeks is a minimum notice. Some companies don't want to risk an employee doing damage, and will terminate the employment at the time of the notice. Quite frankly that's the sort of company I would neither have nor work for. It may or may not be the type of company by whom ram_man is employed, but if he wants to maintain his integrity he will offer at least 2 weeks notice.

That's complete nonsense. Last year we had a general manager leave us (he had a job offer at a winery in California closer to his wife's family). He gave us 30 days notice, and we were able to smoothly transition him out and our new GM in.

We have a very low turnover, but when someone does leave we've never had them give us less than 2 weeks notice.

I think there's a difference between low wage and high wage, and perhaps more importantly, low trust and high trust employees. Compounded by exactly why they are leaving.

IMO giving two weeks is the right thing to do. If they do walk you out on the spot, I'd say there is a decent chance your new job will let you come in at least a week early if not sooner.

In the meantime I'd work like crazy on getting to where a 2 week pay loss is a nuisance not a problem. A good employer may decide to cut everyone's hours and keep everyone working rather than lay off people when a downturn occurs. BTDT.

Most jobs when you get hired state that they are "at will" and either party can initiate termination immediately.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Most jobs when you get hired state that they are "at will" and either party can initiate termination immediately.

What you're legally required to do, and what you do so as not to be a [censored] are two separate things.

If I had an employee walk out on the job without notice, I'd consider it unprofessional, and I'd be sure to mention it if I ever got a request for a reference.

Edit: Self censoring - I put in a questionable word that the filter didn't catch

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back