Most Dangerous Jobs In America......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read an article and was astounded at the most dangerous jobs in the U.S. They listed the soldier stationed overseas, the taxi driver in an urban city, the overnight convenience store clerk, ect. I figure most of these guys are overworked and underpaid. I give these guys a lot of respect. They are risking their lives every day.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Don't forget those in law enforcement
The numbers indicate that's not that dangerous. And much of the danger is from being on the road.

I knew someone would cry law enforcement. Too many seem to put them on a higher plateau. I think over the road drivers should be on a higher plateau myself.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Don't forget those in law enforcement
Its not so.

If you are referring to all jobs, legal and illegal, I believe bank robbers and prostitutes have dangerous professions.

Prostitues and violent felons, for sure. I haven't seen data on those trades though.

The top five of legal jobs is almost always logging, commercial fishing, various construction jobs, linemen, etc.

Law enforcement makes the top ten sometimes. Vehicle accidents are the biggest killer there.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Prostitues and violent felons, for sure. I haven't seen data on those trades though.

The top five of legal jobs is almost always logging, commercial fishing, various construction jobs, linemen, etc.

Law enforcement makes the top ten sometimes. Vehicle accidents are the biggest killer there.

I stand corrected. It appears gunfire exceeds vehicle accidents in police deaths.

Mining? Commercial fishing, ship building, pre-stressed concrete plant. Framing houses or roofing has its moments. High rise window washers. Railroad?

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
I just read an article and was astounded at the most dangerous jobs in the U.S. They listed the soldier stationed overseas, the taxi driver in an urban city, the overnight convenience store clerk, ect. I figure most of these guys are overworked and underpaid. I give these guys a lot of respect. They are risking their lives every day.

These people do work very hard for very little pay, especially uniformed personnel serving our country overseas, they deserved more respect than they received.

Comparing LEO with firefighter, firefighter is a much more dangerous profession. Every time a LEO killed on the job it would be on national news, but other professions were rarely on local news.

Last edited:
I am a Rigger and also a truck driver. I have had my left index finger crushed and right leg broken while on the job. I have also seen others killed while on the job. To say the least I am very careful while at work.

I like to grab a snack at the 7-11 late at night. The cashier told me he was robbed 2X in the past 3 months. Hes a hard working guy too! But you won't see them in the news when they get killed.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
We sometimes take for granted those who have mundane careers:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/01/28/charted-the-20-deadliest-jobs-in-america/

Very informative. Thanks for posting.

Notice that my link is titled most "deadliest", not "dangerous". I think there might be a difference. Both farming and logging are part of my job duties. In spite of my workplace's safety training program, I can't imagine it is as rigorous and constant as what military, LEO, and fire people get. Maybe I am wrong?

My guess is that some of these occupations result in more accidents and deaths because safety training is not as abundant as in other professions. Military,police and fire workers are constantly exposed to unpredictable (dangerous) situations. I believe that it is their superior training that helps keep them out of harms way. That, and I think that it is drilled into their heads constantly. I don't think this happens in logging and farming. We are exposed to occasional training and the risk is of getting lax, especially when tired.

Imagine the danger involved every time a police officer makes a traffic stop or knocks on a door. Loggers and farmers can avoid most (not all) danger by knowing and following safe operating procedures.

Someone correct me if my ideas are wrong.

I will give a shout out to underground coal miners..that will probably be a thing of the past before too long though.

Kudos to firemen that risk their lives in sake of others.

Kudos to soldiers fighting for a good cause, even though its been awhile since they have had a reason to die.

Complacency probably has a lot to do with it.

I read somewhere that a lot of sport motorcycles get wrecked at 4000 miles, because that's when the rider finally tries for 10/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back