Mopar ATF+4 at Wal Mart

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Vestal, NY store has Mopar ATF+4 for about $4.50 a quart. They didn't have a lot of it, only about six quarts. I bought one quart on the off chance I'll have to add some to the power steering system in my Jeep Wrangler that STRONGLY specifies that I use only ATF+4 for the power steering system.
Thanks.

Weird. My dad's '00 WJ says absolutely do not use ATF+4 in the PS system.
Only use approved PSF, MS-5391. I use Valvoline Synpower or Redline PSF.

www.wjjeeps.com/service/maintenance_wj.htm#OTHER
scroll down and you'll see:
quote:

The factory fill power steering fluid for all 1999-2004 Grand Cherokees is a unique fluid, MS5931. ATF+4 (MS9602) should not be mixed or used as a “topping off” fluid on the Grand Cherokee WJ. All WJ models should be serviced using ONLY the special MS5931 fluid. ATF+4 is NOT an approved Power Steering Fluid and should never be used under any circumstances. Note that all fluids will darken in color with usage and fluid color is no longer an indication of fluid condition.

Save the ATF+4 for your tranny. And I get the Valvoline ATF+4 for qt at Autozone.

quote:

Originally posted by gtx510:
Weird. My dad's '00 WJ says absolutely do not use ATF+4 in the PS system.
Only use approved PSF, MS-5391. I use Valvoline Synpower or Redline PSF.

quote:

The factory fill power steering fluid for all 1999-2004 Grand Cherokees is a unique fluid, MS5931. ATF+4 (MS9602) should not be mixed or used as a “topping off” fluid on the Grand Cherokee WJ. All WJ models should be serviced using ONLY the special MS5931 fluid. ATF+4 is NOT an approved Power Steering Fluid and should never be used under any circumstances. Note that all fluids will darken in color with usage and fluid color is no longer an indication of fluid condition.

Save the ATF+4 for your tranny. And I get the Valvoline ATF+4 for qt at Autozone.

That is interesting.
Both the Operator's and Service manuals for my 2003 Jeep Wrangler make it VERY clear that only ATF+4 must be used in the power steering system. No equivalent is listed.
I have the five-speed transmission which used a different fluid than ATF+4.
The transfer case, which also specifies ATF+4, is an unchanged ancient design and will run perfectly on any quality Dexron III ATF fluid.
Perhaps now that aftermarket ATF+4 fluids are available, Mopar feels the need to lower their prices and broaden their availability.
Thanks.

I'd wonder about ATF+4 in the PS system when there's the MS-5391 stuff. I'd go for the Synpower PSF even though the manual says otherwise. Your jeep, you decide.

I've been wondering about the change to ATF+4 for the t/c. Maybe something changed on the inside of the t/c? Or maybe the dealers only have ATF+4 now and that'll still work in a t/c?
I hear MTL and Molakule's stuff will also work in the t/c.

Maybe DC wants to get into the oil game like Ford is with Motorcraft? Maybe they're overstocked on 1qt bottles?

da nada, amigo

Weird but true,
I had a squeak, whine when turning the wheel in the 02 intrepid 2.7L. Dealer wanted to put a new clock spring in since the noise sounded like it was coming from inside. Charged me $85 for the privilage of finding that out. Wanted $285 to do the swap.

I evacuated (turkey baster) the PS fluid over the course of a week, with +4. Noise went away and has for 4 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back