Modern Trucks Wash and Wax - So Laborious

Just washed my new 22 Silverado and put on Turtle Wax Spray Wax. Man, these modern trucks have so much acreage of sheet metal it takes forever to wash, dry and wax. And this **** truck has so many crevices and whatnot on the grill. Then you add the wheels, I swear in the future I will clean those on a different day. Remember how easy it was to wash the square bodies? Or even the 99-06 GMT-800s. This latest variety is just hell to clean. Best driving and riding truck I’ve ever had, but they have grown so ridiculously large.
You may prefer a spray and rinse product - Gyeon Wet Coat, Carpro Hydro2 Lite, DIY Quick Beads (I'd go with this one) or 303 Touchless. Then air dry.

I was thinking about a ceramic coating as well for mine to cut down on waxing. Is any brand better than another?
What are your expectations from a coating? Start there because more often than not people are a bit mislead by what they offer and how they perform if not properly maintained.

You may prefer a spray and rinse product - Gyeon Wet Coat, Carpro Hydro2 Lite, DIY Quick Beads (I'd go with this one) or 303 Touchless. Then air dry.

Yep. There are a lot of good products that do not require the effort of a regular wax. If the OP was using the regular Turtle Wax spray then he had to go back and buff it out. A spray on rinse off or a wipe on wipe off product would be so much easier.

1.5 hr for me.

Explore a waterless / rinseless like Optimum No Rinse (ONR) for your washing. I use it for my truck and in conjunction with their spray on wipe off sealant (acts as a drying aid and you use in the drying process) it saves a bunch of time. Then you can use a damp microfiber with the stuff to clean in all the jambs and stuff at the end.

Explore a waterless / rinseless like Optimum No Rinse (ONR) for your washing. I use it for my truck and in conjunction with their spray on wipe off sealant (acts as a drying aid and you use in the drying process) it saves a bunch of time. Then you can use a damp microfiber with the stuff to clean in all the jambs and stuff at the end.
Exact same advice. My 11 yr. Old Ford pickup has thrived with this. I use the two-bucket Garry Dean method.

If it’s more than just road film I’ll take it to the coin op and hose it off first, taking special care to hose off the undercarriage good.

The spray wax mentioned (Optimum right?) is amazingly durable, considering. As a practical matter, waxy build-up from premature reapplication is more of a problem than durability.

Annual or biannual use of an all-in-one product is all the abrasive I need.

The spray wax is shiny enough. If you want to bring out the bling you can top it with Aquawwax or something like that.

Note: Cool dry climate here. Your experience may be different in Phoenix or Miami.

Same. 2018 f150 gets washed 2 maybe 3 times per year. The griots hybrid spray wax is all I’ll use on it now, because it lasts longer while also being easier to apply than anything else I’ve tried. The truck is also gray and hides dirt very well.

I also commute in a midsize sedan, and I appreciate that it is far easier to keep clean.

Back