mobile1 15w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know in years past the old m1 red top 15w50 was a commonly used mc oil but I havent seen anything on it in a while. Are people still using it since it changed? I saw it in walmart the other day for a little over $6 per quart so its a little cheaper alternative to there bike oil at $9.50. I am fixing to change the oil for a 4 day trip to the north ga mountains and m running castrol dino mc oil that the dealer put in but am looking for an alternative. I have been using rotella in all my other bikes but just got the fz1.

We have a FZ1 and a FZ6 (and some others) and use that Rotella 15W-40 at 3,000 oil change intervals. In my mind it has a better add pack than the Castrol. It should work just fine in your bike.

The old red cap M1 is no longer available and that's a shame. The replacement silver cap isn't nearly as robust. Some are still using the silver cap but it doesn't seem to hold up as well as the old red cap.

Check out sportbikes.net to see what they're using and I think you'll find that Rotella is a favorite.

Certainly, you could use that M1 15W-50 silver cap, but it should not be used in extended drain intervals.

Take a look at the used oil analysis for Rotella.... there are several out there for GL1800's, ST1300's, etc....

I have run the synth rotella in my last couple of bikes. The castrol has about 1800 miles on it and I have been noticing the shifting getting worse the last few hundred miles so I am not impressed with the it. I ran the rotella in my r1 at 2k miles intervals and it seemed to do well. I may run it and send in a sample to see how it is holding up.

I've been taking advantage of Cycle Gear's 'sale' on Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40. $9.99 is a pretty good price considering none of the department stores or auto parts places in my area carry ANY motorcycle oil (aside from Valvoline MC oil at Auto Zone, which I won't do again). CG's regular price is around $13.

If you were closer I still have 6 quarts of red cap 15w50 Mobil 1 that I would sell you cheap.

Use any HDEO in your bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: kballowe
The replacement silver cap isn't nearly as robust.

looks good to me?

Silicon: 9ppm
Boron: 228ppm
Sodium: 13ppm
Magnesium:43ppm
Calcium: 2464ppm
Phosphorus:1193ppm
Zinc: 1315ppm
Molybdenum:90ppm

TBN is just under 10

this oil would do 3,000 no problem

Yeah, but the red cap stuff was good for a lot longer oil change intervals......

Certainly - it's not bad oil.

Little bit yes but not that much,TBN wasn't much higher and adds were around the same.

Not trying to be funny - but is this the recent silver cap stuff?

If it is - I gotta go and get some.

What about the Gold Cap?

Thanks

Kevin

yes silver cap,and yes gold is good too same additives!!!!!
20.gif

From my understanding, the silver cap 15w50 is the same formulation as the old red cap. When Mobil came out with their extended perfomance gold cap, they standardized the caps as some of the non syn (Mobil Clean 5000 I think) oil had red caps.

I just remember reading here - and looking at some oil analysis and everyone complaining that the silver cap wasn't nearly as good as the old red cap. Mobil stopped making the red cap and (for some time) there was no replacement. Everyone seemed to be happy when they came back out with the 15W-50 but this time it had a silver cap and the concensus was that it wasn't as robust as the old red cap stuff.

Maybe all just speculation?

I tried to search for these threads and so far have come up empty handed.

Search the VOA section all these oil's are there and compare then decide for your self,the silver cap is a fine oil,loaded and robust.

OK, I'll say it then -- It's MOBIL not Mobile.

(sorry - that bugs a lot of folks on here..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back