Mobil1 FE levels, are they higher than most?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been driving me nuts since switching to M1 from castrol syntec. M1 is better than castrol in more areas, BUT castrol does better in the 4 ball wear tests. Does this mean more wear long term? A lot of honda guys swear by M1, but I've heard our eninges in particular show high Fe when using M1. Also, the Fe levels in M1 scare the [censored] out of me, but are they any higher than the others? Does this equate to engine wear? If it does, why do high end manufacturers use it as factory fill? Are we alone in the universe? What is the meaning of life?

LOL, I cant remember where I saw it, but there was a list of several under the same test. thanks for the links

I've noticed in many UOAs here on BITOG that it often happens that M1 shows higher Fe levels than other oils in the same vehicle. I haven't tried to make a rigorous statistical analysis of it, but there seems to be a lot of data that points in such a direction.

As far as M1 doing so great on the secret Honda HTO-06 deposit test, so what? I've seen more engines get to the end of their life from worn valve train components, worn cylinder bores and worn rings than from excessive deposits. Other than abusively not-maintained engines, deposit build ups are rarely the cause of death.

Before reading so many UOAs M1 was often my default choice motor oil, but now I haven't bought any in a very long time.

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
I've noticed in many UOAs here on BITOG that it often happens that M1 shows higher Fe levels than other oils in the same vehicle. I haven't tried to make a rigorous statistical analysis of it, but there seems to be a lot of data that points in such a direction.

Before reading so many UOAs M1 was often my default choice motor oil, but now I haven't bought any in a very long time.

That's a common trap that people fall into. They misuse data.
As far as M1 doing so great on the secret Honda HTO-06 deposit test, so what? I've seen more engines get to the end of their life from worn valve train components, worn cylinder bores and worn rings than from excessive deposits. Other than abusively not-maintained engines, deposit build ups are rarely the cause of death.

Do you realize the spec. was created for the turbo Acura RDX engine?

The timing chain/sprocket wear on my LT1 engine @100,000 was no better,if as good as dino oil. Reading message boards, it seems to be common on these engines. The theory is that the 5/30 & 10/30 are thin for their viscosity rating. My theory is I should buy different oil.

all this Mobil 1 higher FE is true. but in perspective, these are noise level wear were talking about here. 10ppm vs 4ppm.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
all this Mobil 1 higher FE is true. but in perspective, these are noise level wear were talking about here. 10ppm vs 4ppm.

Exactly.

I like the M1 5W40 HDEO, and whatever A5/B5 rated oils they offer. I'm currently using the 5W30 T&S in the older F150 and Taurus, with no apparent increased noise.

" Do you realize the spec. was created for the turbo Acura RDX engine? "

Yes, I am aware the the mystery spec was generated for the RDX, Honda/Acura's first turbocharged engine. I also am very annoyed that the details of the test are a secret. Acura should say something like "in order to be HT-06 certified, an oil has to meet all the requirements of GF-4 plus have less than ____ reading in test ASTM _____.", or something similar.

A test with no specified procedure and no data published doesn't really mean much to me. One of my complaints with Honda are the many Top Secret fluids formulations. Automatic transmission fluid, power steering fluid, coolant, etc. are all Honda specific items.

Last edited:
" Do you realize the spec. was created for the turbo Acura RDX engine? "

Yes, I am aware the the mystery spec was generated for the RDX, Honda/Acura's first turbocharged engine. I also am very annoyed that the details of the test are a secret. Acura should say something like "in order to be HT-06 certified, an oil has to meet all the requirements of GF-4 plus have less than ____ reading in test ASTM _____.", or something similar.

A test with no specified procedure and no data published doesn't really mean much to me. One of my complaints with Honda are the many Top Secret fluids formulations. Automatic transmission fluid, power steering fluid, coolant, etc. are all Honda specific items.

Mystery spec or not, Honda said all but one oil available provided excellent results with no deposits. Others tested did not meet it. Pennzoil Platinum is the only other brand that meets it as of now. Castrol does not.

Originally Posted By: 1sttruck
I like the M1 5W40 HDEO, and whatever A5/B5 rated oils they offer. I'm currently using the 5W30 T&S in the older F150 and Taurus, with no apparent increased noise.

My ear always say that M1 product that does not carry A5 mark on the bottle always cause my engine to sound rough much faster than the one carry A5. The problem is M1 keep changing this for 5w-30 and 10w-30 grade, some batch has A1/A5 and some only has A1. Maybe I should try the EP version.

Quote:
Since several GM engines are factory filled with Mobil 1 .... yes, we do test with it quite a bit. It has no issue with wear. Period.

From a GM Engineer who would definitely know about engine wear with M1. Point is, Mobil 1 is just fine.

Better options are available however.

Good to know. Also, when you guys mention noise level wear, what is this refferring to? How does it compare to actual wear/ engine life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back