Mobil 1 is perhaps not so good for seals after all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Immediately after I switched to M1 0W-40 SN, I saw some increased oil leak under the car. Recently I also noticed some oil around the valve-cover gasket. Note that the valve-cover gasket is only a few years old.

This is not a proof that M1 may be compromising seals -- in fact it may have nothing to do with M1. Also, the higher oil pressure of 0W-40 may be producing an effect here. However, I didn't notice this with TGMO 0W-20 SN. So, it's hard to say whether it's the increased pressure, the base oil used in M1, or something else, or perhaps nothing at all. It does make me suspicious about M1 though.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Your questioning Mobil-1's effect on a 1985 Toyota Corolla with 263,000 K miles? Give me a break please.
exactly
25.gif

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Your questioning Mobil-1's effect on a 1985 Toyota Corolla with 263,000 K miles? Give me a break please.
exactly
25.gif

As I said, the valve-cover seal is only a few years old.

How much oil? A little seepage on a seal that has a few years on it is nothing... Spray your engine down with degreaser and don't lose any sleep.

1983 Toyota?its leaking but not because of the oil. Clean with brake cleaner the oilgunk and keep a look on it. Like filler gasket too old or they didnt put a oil drain seal. Might need to measure and fit one since there werent any back then

Originally Posted By: VetteElite
How much oil? A little seepage on a seal that has a few years on it is nothing... Spray your engine down with degreaser and don't lose any sleep.

Not much at all, I think. Perhaps switching oils shocked the seals a little bit before they readjusted. Perhaps whatever seepage was there has stopped.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: VetteElite

Not much at all, I think. Perhaps switching oils shocked the seals a little bit before they readjusted. Perhaps whatever seepage was there has stopped.

I don't think the seals were shocked. Mildly taken aback maybe.

exactly
25.gif

You're lucky to get a year out of those valve cover seals.

Replace the freaking valve cover gasket. It's cheaper and faster than changing the oil.

Not sure why you'd use Euro Formula M1 in a vintage Corolla when you live in area that never sees high temperatures and in which high sustained road speeds are simply not possible.
Anyway, I'd doubt that the M1 caused any leaks.
Although you may have a newish valve cover gasket, I'd also doubt that it's of OEM quality.
Oil leaks happen with old engines, simple as that.
I've used M1 in various flavors in a number of high mileage engines and have noticed no particular increase in oil leaks.
With thirty one years and 263K on your Corolla, I'd say that it's done pretty well by you and owes you nothing at all.
Minor oil leaks should be the least of your concerns. In this part of the country, your Corolla would have long since been confined to a yard and crushed due to structural rust.

exactly
25.gif

Did you re-torque it?

+1. It's doing OP a favor, fix the seal and keep going.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd put a fill of Pennzoil high mileage 10W30 in it and see if that fixes it all up.

Or buy a freaking valve cover gasket for $9 on ebay

1985 Toyota? Are you serious? Run the cheapest store brand 10W30 or 10W40 high mileage oil you can find.

Then trade it in for something that can get out of its own way and do more than 70 on the highway.

My friend bought that exact car. I laughed. His travels were ALL HIGHWAY and he couldn't keep up with traffic. In fact, it was dangerous as he almost got rear ended constantly. At full throttle. He traded it for a 1990 Dodge Caravan, and that was a huge step up. That car should not be on the roadways. Do it a favor and put it out of its misery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back