Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20 with LG BioTech, '19 Pilot 3.5L 7665 mi, high FE

I didn't mark it down so 95% it was M1 AFE. Otherwise it would be PP 0W-20. Pilot does see a lot of short trip as wife works less than 2 miles from home. Long Island, NY and metro area to Bridgeport CT so even trips see a lot of slow traffic. Oil filter is Honda 15400-PCX-004 (for S2000) with a FilterMag on it. I might send next change in also as I know it's M1 AFE 0W-20, no LG, new Honda PCX filter.

Pilot oil sample a.jpg

The engine must live in the cold engine / warm up zone.
Definitely lives there quite often but does get out for decent warm up's depending on the shopping trips. Even then there is a lot less than 10 mile drives. Google maps says 1.7miles / 5 minutes to her job. It gets the start the car, no idling warm up, just head out and drive. Sometimes that might even be a bit heavy on throttle.......who am I kidding....she has a lead foot so make that often a bit heavy on the throttle.

0W-20 is spec'd for it. I don't know if something else viscosity wise or a better brand would help any? I'm not really concerned on extended drain intervals. The 7500 miles is about 9 months > 1 year depending on year and trips. I pretty much stick to that on most of the vehicles but they all had UOA's that showed stronger TBN's and recommended to try 10k changes. This is first UOA on this one. Current fleet has not had UOA's either. Currently three of them are running HPL EC 30 also so probably won't do one with that in there.

So based on this, do you think it’s helping?
I think it helped bring Moly up. I don't know about other results or just this motor. No past vehicles showed higher wear items when using it or other things like M0s2, Ceratec or others. My cars are just normal DD not performance or tuned things. Most of my vehicles I keep for a long time and miles so if it can help and discussed favorably here I'm willing to try.

I might be better off financially doing more frequent OCI's with the M1 or PP or try HPL versions. BITOG and additives for more is better is an addiction :unsure: :LOL: ;)

Current fleet is '17 Accord 2.4L 6MT w/ 96k, '10 Forte 2.0L w/ 176k, '08 CRV 2.4L w/ 223k, '19 Pilot 3.5L w/ 51k, '21 Tucson w/ 17k

Past was 4.7L '03 Sequoia 16 years 186k, 1.8L '93 Corolla 14 years 220k, 2.4L '07 Sonata 14 years 220k and other older ones that would get the old school 3k changes and lasted in the 200k plus.

In my only LubeGard BioTech running UOA my iron was a good bit higher than the average also. Would be interesting to see a similar run with AFE and no lubegard

I didn't mark it down so 95% it was M1 AFE. Otherwise it would be PP 0W-20. Pilot does see a lot of short trip as wife works less than 2 miles from home. Long Island, NY and metro area to Bridgeport CT so even trips see a lot of slow traffic. Oil filter is Honda 15400-PCX-004 (for S2000) with a FilterMag on it. I might send next change in also as I know it's M1 AFE 0W-20, no LG, new Honda PCX filter.

View attachment 167314
Ending vis is too low. Try PUP 0w-20. It's thicker. Jmo

Maybe the oil is not getting enough time to warm up & causing the extra Iron wear along with short tripping. Thanks for sharing.

Past was 4.7L '03 Sequoia 16 years 186k, 1.8L '93 Corolla 14 years 220k, 2.4L '07 Sonata 14 years 220k and other older ones that would get the old school 3k changes and lasted in the 200k plus.
Was it mainly rust that got them?

Maybe the oil is not getting enough time to warm up & causing the extra Iron wear along with short tripping. Thanks for sharing.

Was it mainly rust that got them?
Sequoia was rust. Corolla got totaled in accident but was rusting. Sonata slight rust but something in motor went, vibration at 3000 rpm (it was a 5MT). Bad fluid filled motor mount replaced didn't help. I think chain to balance shaft module/tensioner had issue. It started vibrating worse and suddenly sprayed oil all over all over right side of motor. Still ran but IMO wasn't worth the $2-3k to tear apart.

All the others were rust victims except '94 Explorer that kept having tranny and other repair issues. Lost confidence as a DD for wife and kids.

OP, since it seems like this is your first UOA, I have some similar experience that may help. I also have a much more recent thread than the one you linked to for BioTech, along with correspondence from LubeGard in the thread.

I bought an 06 Odyssey with ~130k on it many years ago. It too showed high iron (several of my UOA threads here on the Ody with various oils) and its engine is a kissing cousin to the one in your Pilot. I ran two short OCIs (~2k miles or so) to help circulate all of the old oils out, then went back to normal length OCIs and the iron dropped back into single digits and stayed there.

The van has since moved on to my kids, but it’s still kicking at over 250k and terrible to nonexistent maintenance practices 🤬.

Since you’ve already got the Lubegard, it won’t hurt (other than the fact that it’s a VERY thin 20-wt) and my UOAs show the Ody had no negative effects from running 30 & 40wt oils. If I were in your shoes, I would look at using the Pennzoil Euro L 5w30, as it’s much thicker and has a better add pack than most things you may grab off the shelf. I’d run 2 short OCIs with maybe PYB and then go to the Euro L, and run 6k miles and sample again to see if the iron has dropped.

Do you have the VCM disabled? Keeping all six cylinders firing. I also use biotech along with Amsoil XL or SS 0W20. Haven’t done a uoa. It does see the freeway twice a week. I also run Redline SL1 fuel injector cleaner at 60% olm and 20% olm since she fills up at random gas stations.

Do you have the VCM disabled? Keeping all six cylinders firing. I also use biotech along with Amsoil XL or SS 0W20. Haven’t done a uoa. It does see the freeway twice a week. I also run Redline SL1 fuel injector cleaner at 60% olm and 20% olm since she fills up at random gas stations.
VCM disabled since 25k. This OCI with the sample the MM was down to 0%. I don't normally go that low with the MM. Work and rest of life got in the way to change at 15-20%. I also needed the extra time to drop skid plate and do the tranny D&F at the same time.

My 2.4L Accord that gets on highway daily was at almost 8k OCI and still had 30% on MM. I changed it anyway as I had the time.

VCM disabled since 25k. This OCI with the sample the MM was down to 0%. I don't normally go that low with the MM. Work and rest of life got in the way to change at 15-20%. I also needed the extra time to drop skid plate and do the tranny D&F at the same time.

My 2.4L Accord that gets on highway daily was at almost 8k OCI and still had 30% on MM. I changed it anyway as I had the time.
Use 4 jack stands. No skid plate to remove at least on the six speed.

Wife might have done a curb or two. Son takes it to his future in-laws hunting cabin. Narrow long driveway, trees on each side, deep ruts. He used the Pilot to pull others that go stuck a couple times. It also sees some beach use so rutted beach access etc. It also goes to other hunting gravel/mud trails fire roads. The Pilot AWD works well especially in SAND mode.

Back