Mobil 1 5W30 4000M/6400KM 2009 Saturn Outlook XR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
Seeing that you are in Canada you might consider a 0W30 in this regard. There are lots of alternatives to the ubiquitous M1 5W30.

Originally Posted By: BigTallV
Call me reluctant to go against the spec.

That isn't quite true. This past November I replaced a fill of QHorespower 5W30 with Petro Canada's 0W30. The owner's manual allows the use of a 0W30 for cold temperature climates. Hence it has been in all winter.

Last edited:

...This past November I replaced a fill of QHorespower 5W30 with Petro Canada's 0W30. The owner's manual allows the use of a 0W30 for cold temperature climates. Hence it has been in all winter.

I may come across as a 'know-it-all', but I learn something everyday - much to your point above.

Searched in PDF version of my owners manual, and voila:

"Cold Temperature Operation
If in an area of extreme cold, where
the temperature falls below −20°F
(−29°C), use either an SAE 5W-30
synthetic oil or an SAE 0W-30
engine oil. Both provide easier cold
starting for the engine at extremely
low temperatures."

It would appear there's some wiggle room for the perfectionist in me to make use of a 'winter fill'. Thanks for pointing that out.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Hopefully the current session with "zero idling" corrects the fuel dilution and high iron problem.

I find it very hard to believe that this triple digit Fe # can be attributable to winter idling (assuming that the actual Fe count is correct
smirk2.gif
)

Not winter idling directly, but if it results in fuel dilution then definately in engines with iron or steel cylinder bores.

Not sure.....I think so. On their website, they set out what their oil tests consist of. I phoned a bulk distributor a couple of years ago and was told each kit was $25.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back