SUS Viscosity @ 210F: 62.9

Flashpoint in Degrees F: 430

Fuel %: -

Antifreeze %: -

Water %: 0.0

Insolubles %: 0.0

Blackstone reports the TBN at 10.7.

Chuck

EDIT: Cleaned up formatting, no values changed.

[ October 23, 2003, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: chucky2 ]

Thanks for posting this!

Look at the viscosity folks, just as I suspected, they've thickened it up slightly! It's now right around 11cst at 100c! I'm impressed! Nice levels of boron and calcium too!

They might actually be listening to us!
smile.gif

Wow, maybe they are. I'm with Patman, you have to hand to them. I wonder if 3MP's study had this viscosity? Maybe only a few quarts towards the end. It's about time they do this. This might be why that guy told me that he heard they are going for the A3 rating. It makes more sense now that the 0w-20 is 8.9cst. This makes more of a distinction between there 20wt and 30wt oils. I think newer cars have gone up in the way of HP lately that this could also be why. Look how many cars today have well over 250HP. You have Mini Vans with 250 + and sport utilities pushing 300+ HP. All of this of course is just pure guess and mostly likely I'm wrong about it. Patman did call it first.
cheers.gif

[ October 23, 2003, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Another thing I like is how clean Mobil 1 is, with only 1ppm of iron in it. I wish GC were this clean, but the initial batches of that stuff have more contaminents in it than it should for new oil.

In another 6 months Mobil 1 might just become a super oil!

What is on your wish list for this product?

How would they increase the solvency?

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GSV:

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

More esters!!!
grin.gif
More Moly!!!
grin.gif
In other words......more like redline.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:

quote:

Originally posted by GSV:

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

More esters!!!
grin.gif
More Moly!!!
grin.gif
In other words......more like redline.
grin.gif

Mobil 1 is better in my opinion. Redline cannot handle extended drains like Mobil 1 can. -Joe

Patman,

So what happened to the TBN's of 15-16 that Blackstone used to get for this formulation? I always got a good laugh about those ...
wink.gif

10.7 sounds a lot more reasonable, given the levels of Mg and Ca ....

Ted

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
So what happened to the TBN's of 15-16 that Blackstone used to get for this formulation?

Wasn't that with their old method of measuring TBN?

No problem on the posting, I was curious as to what Mobil-1 is now looking like. Now that I think about it though, the store (Walmart) could have had this batch sitting on the shelf or in stock for the past 6 months, and I/we would never know it. Doubtful, but it could happen.

I took the sample around the 5th of October (I think), let it sit around a few days (hey, I was being lazy), and then mailed it in. The sample was run on (according to the report they mailed me) on 10/21/2003.

Does anyone know of a way by looking at the bottle to determine when the oil was poured into the bottle? Do they have anything like "born on date" for oil?

Chuck

Rats. I LIKED the thin viscosity of the M1 5w30. Made me feel good about using it in my wife's under warranty Honda Odyssey that calls for 5w20.

Now what am I gonna do? Worry, that's what.

MolaKule,

Terry listed the deficiencies as he saw it with Mobil 1 in this thread a while ago.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002833;p=3#000073

"limited EP capability & limited solvency" were his main beefs. He later posted "Limited solvency is a problem all oils face and I see the M1 generating increased insolubles or failing to control those in extended drains and the shorter drains some recommend here. At 400 degrees F and higher the oil cooks like most others."

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back