Mobil 1 5W-20 EP specs compared to Amsoil 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a little research on M1 EP 5W-20 and found that the specs are interesting when compared to Amsoil 0W-20. The specs for M1 do not look all that bad. Though I am no expert, some M1 specs even seem to surpass the Amsoil specs. I understand that M1 does not list all of the items Amsoil does, perhaps that is where the big difference is found and where Amsoil shines?

Mobil 1 Extended Performance:
SAE Grade: 5W-20
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC: 47.4
cSt @ 100ºC: 8.9
Viscosity Index: 171
Sulfated Ash, wt%: 1.0
HTHS Viscosity, mPa·s @ 150ºC: 2.7
Pour Point,ºC: -51
Flash Point,ºC: 235
Density @15º C kg/l: 0.86

AMSOIL 100% Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil (ASM)
Viscosity @ 100°C: 9.0
Viscosity @ 40°C: 49.1
Viscosity Index: 165
VISC. CCS,cP: 4069 (-35)
Flash Point °C (°F): 228 (442)
Fire Point °C (°F): 246 (475)
Pour Point °C (°F):-54 (-65)
NOACK (% weight loss): 8.6
Four Ball Wear, 75°C, 1200 rpm, 40kg, 1 hour: 0.35
Total Base Number: 12.1
High Temperature/High Shear Viscosity
(ASTM D-4683 @ 150°C, 1.0 X 106 s.-1): 2.8

They are close. The difference, IMO, is the additive package. Amsoil's additive package is more robust, at least on paper. EP might also be Group III. Noack would probably reveal this but they don't publish that spec anymore. Wondery why?
wink.gif
Not that it really matters...LOL.

Why even bother with EP?Regular M1 5W20 has turned in great UOA on every OCI that it has been used on. Now mind you I would not run M1 5W20,0W20 or Amsoils 0W20 in anything not specificly calling for them. Why spend the extra money on Amsoil when you can go to Walmart and buy m1 5W20 and 0W20 all day long for a good price? THeir are some products of Amsoil's that I really think are great and really make a difference but their xW20 is not one of them.I really do not see anything about their xW20 that really makes it standout from other companies products that have been out a lot longer and have a proven track record.

Quote:

Why spend the extra money on Amsoil when you can go to Walmart and buy m1 5W20 and 0W20 all day long for a good price? THeir are some products of Amsoil's that I really think are great and really make a difference but their xW20 is not one of them.I really do not see anything about their xW20 that really makes it standout from other companies products that have been out a lot longer and have a proven track record.

John, normally I agree with you but not this time. Amsoil is putting up much better wear numbers since API SM came along. I was always a big M1 fan but the UOA's are hit and miss. There has been one UOA of 0w-20 Amsoil and it was great. I'm using it now but if I use mor than 1qt of makeup oil I'm going back to conventional. Also, the additive package of Amsoil seems to be more robust. More ca/boron.

Would the Mobil 1 EP specs listed above, when compared with the Amsoil specs, suggest that the M1 oil is made from Group IV base? With the M1 and Amsoil specs being as close a match as they appear to be, it would seem to suggest that the M1 oil is Group IV to my untrained eye.

I would think the M1 would be better. Amsoil seems to become thick over extended drains which would be the reason you would use either one. I have had no thickening using the 5w-30 EP over 15,000 mile intervals. I am sure both are great oils but I don't like the thickening.

You are behind the 8-ball my friend. All one has to do is visit the UOA page to determine that the viscosity issue is behind Amsoil. Wear numbers are impressive on it as well. Mobil has done something to cheapen the product and it could be debated for days what that is.

Quote:

I would think the M1 would be better. Amsoil seems to become thick over extended drains which would be the reason you would use either one. I have had no thickening using the 5w-30 EP over 15,000 mile intervals. I am sure both are great oils but I don't like the thickening.

If M1 EP 5w-20 is the same as M1 EP 5w/10w-30, then I would say that it is not as good as the Amsoil. M1 EP has not performed as well as I though it would have. I've seen little proof that it's even better than regular M1. And if it does contain 50% more SuperSyn PAO, why did the GC test show it to be mostly Group III? Something just doesn't jive.

There has to be a difference between M1 5W-20 and M1 EP 5W-20 based on the specs for non-EP M1 5w-20:

Mobil 1 5W-20
SAE Grade 5W-20
Viscosity: 445
cSt @ 40ºC: 48.3
cSt @ 100ºC: 8.8
Viscosity Index: 163
HTHS Viscosity, mPa·s @ 150ºC: 2.62
Pour Point, ºC: -47
Flash Point, ºC: 228
Density @15º C kg/l: 0.80

Here are the M1 EP 5W-20 specs again for comparision:

Mobil 1 Extended Performance:
SAE Grade: 5W-20
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC: 47.4
cSt @ 100ºC: 8.9
Viscosity Index: 171
HTHS Viscosity, mPa·s @ 150ºC: 2.7
Pour Point,ºC: -51
Flash Point,ºC: 235
Density @15º C kg/l: 0.86

Note the differences:

Viscosity Index: M1=163, EP=171

Flash Point: M1=228°C, EP=235°C

Pour Point: M1= -47°F, EP= -51°F

I was looking at Mobil 1 EP too, but decided to go with the Amsoil. The EP's specs are closer to the realm of the 0W-40 if you look at VI, FP and PP. Hasn't someone on here shown 0W-40 to be Group IV?

Farmall you are right! Could only find two UOA with extended change intervals but both showed no thickening. Thanks for the update and hope it holds with other UOA's that will be comming.

buster, Normaly I like AMsoils products over Mobil-1 if cost and local availablity are not issue's. I have recomended a lot of S3K 5W30! I just do not see where Amsoil's 0W20 represents any significant improvement on what is already on the market. Now I am sure that if one was going to push out the OCI's etc.... it would make sense over M1 but what are we really gaining? M1 0W20 and 5W20 already turn in great UOA and are available at most chain parts store's and major retailers. I guess I will have to waite and see some more of their UOA results from Amsoil's 0W20 and see what it really able to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back