mobil 1 15w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the mobil 1 15w50 a good synthetic oil to replace amsoil mcv 20w50.Looking for a cheaper synthetic oil that will work just as well seeing amsoil just went to 19.99 bucks a quart here in canada.And if so what one the regular 15w50 or the 15w50 extended performance.Thanks for any answers on this.Bike is a 1997 1200 harley sportster and will just be using it in the motor not primary

I used it in my Z for a long time. Really good oil (the silver cap version,not the Extended Performance).

Lots of guys use it in Harleys but I have seen a UOA that showed it sheared to a 40w in a very short time in a Sportster. The UOA is posted on HDforums.com in the oil section. If you use it do a UOA at 3000 miles IMO.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I used it in my Z for a long time. Really good oil (the silver cap version,not the Extended Performance).

Your Z is a water cooled engine versus his air cooled Harley...huge difference

It was always popular back in the days of the red cap and I would assume that most of those people are using the regular silver cap now. Many, many millions of miles have been logged on it. I use it in 94 road King but the newer bike has had nothing but Red Line since break in. Given the choices of 15/20w50s on the market at roughly $5 per Qt I think M1 15W50 is a pretty good deal.

I went from the Triumph badged 15/50 MC oil at 54 bucks a Liter to the Red Line 15/50 after a few changes. It is good oil. I put the bike away this winter with M1 15/50 silver cap, and will run 3-4,000 miles in spring summer, then decide whether to go back to Red Line. I think the M1 will be fine at those change intervals. My '01 Speed Triple has 33,000 trouble free miles.

The local Wally World has both flavors of 15W-50.
The 'new' silver cap is supposedly the old red cap.
Most W-Ms carry them.
They tend to push the more popular 5W-30 and the 0Ws more.

I seen them at walmart in moreno valley CA, Riverside CA, and In a walmart in Orange County in CA as well.

in indo quarts and 5 quart jugs

I'm wondering how this stacks up compared to the m1 4t 10w40 as a triumph owner my self.

I've got Mobil 1 15W-50 in my Virago right now and it improved shifting from the Delvac I dumped. No problems so far...clutch was not phased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back