Mobil 1 0w40, 4000 Miles, 2011 Golf 2.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely looks impressive considering both the young age of the engine and the fact that the engine seldom gets up to full operating temperature!

I've been trying to decide what oil to run in my fiancee's 2006 Jetta (which has the 2.5L engine) and M1 0w40 is definitely something I'm leaning towards (also considering GC 0w30)

Just out of curiosity....what kind of bulk oil does the VW dealership use for their oil changes on cars under warranty?

I would not be surprised to find out that the VW dealerships are using conventional oil for their "Free" or "reduced price" oil changes....right out of the barrel....as long as the customer comes back within 3K.

If they gave you some "free passes" for oil changes....it might be worth while to call the dealership to find out the type of oil is used.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Just out of curiosity....what kind of bulk oil does the VW dealership use for their oil changes on cars under warranty?

I would not be surprised to find out that the VW dealerships are using conventional oil for their "Free" or "reduced price" oil changes....right out of the barrel....as long as the customer comes back within 3K.

If they gave you some "free passes" for oil changes....it might be worth while to call the dealership to find out the type of oil is used.

Nothing is really free. They make up the cost of x amount of "free" oil changes by throwing on a $300-400 cost on top of the car during the sale.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: mongo161

Nothing is really free. They make up the cost of x amount of "free" oil changes by throwing on a $300-400 cost on top of the car during the sale.

Maintenance (3/36 most models) is included on new VW's:

http://www.vw.com/en/owners/parts-and-ac...t=Homepage-Tout

But yes the one local dealer that includes "lifetime oil change and powertrain warranty" did want several (5IIRC) hundred more for a car.

I would be very surprised if any dealers are not using 502/507 oil; too big of risk of VW charging back warranty repairs if they find out.

Originally Posted By: jigen
They use Castrol 5w40 and say that's good for 10k or 12 months, whatever comes first.

Why I bring my own oil and get it changed elsewhere.

Castrol 5w40 isnt the most modern oil, but it gets the job done. Not sure I'd run it 10k, more like 7.5k. I'm taking the car to the dealer for the first time to get my 20k done this weekend. I'll take a "free" OC, but will probably only run it 7.5, like I said.

I REALLY like the way the car sounds and feels with M1. GC was fine too, but I like the TBN reserve on the M1.

Maybe my mind plays tricks on me, but I thought the overal sound at startup and while warmed up was better and smoother with the 0w40.

also, not sure also if wear numbers would have been lower, but when I changed the factory fill I left the oil filter. I changed it out when I took a sample of this oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back