Mobil 1 0w-40, 5.4k miles, ‘96 Lexus LX450 ( Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ-80 ) 4.5L 1FZ-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 0w-40 I think it was SM but can’t remember for sure. Toyota 90915-20004 oil filter from my filter hoard, Previous owner had put in a K&N air filter witch was promptly replaced with OEM paper upon discovery not long after purchase and also not long before the first analyzed OCI was started. No additives or fuel treatments this OCI, use mostly Chevron gas, always 93 octane.

This OCI was 5,491 miles over 3 months. Total consumption some burned some leaked externally is somewhere around 2 quarts with only one made up @ 4,371 miles into OCI. Sump capacity is just shy of 8 quarts. Toyota fuel injected dual overhead cam 4.5L inline 6 with an overbuilt oil system.

Miles were mainly freeway commute, -0- short trips, it is 7 miles one way just to the closest gas station/food. And 35 miles to work. Spend a lot of time with the cruise set at 75-85, it may see higher average RPM than most cruisers.

Wal-Mart SuperTech 10w-40 and 16oz of AutoRx went in this oil change. Plan on 2 cycles so I probably will not have another report until around the New Year so I am glad this one had no major surprises.

Past OCI’s:
6,362 Mobil 1 10w-30/15w-50 6 to 2 mix for winter.
3,948 Mobil 1 15w-50 last fall.
5,200 Delvac 1 5w-40 last summer.

-

Lead in this OCI is still above the average but trending down. Lead per 1,000 miles on the 4 different OCI’s:
universal average is 0.62 / 1k miles

Glad to see copper and tin stay low after both spiked in the first OCI.

Iron went up a bit and is for the first time above average, hopefully temporary
dunno.gif
, maybe 0w-40 is not a good Georgia summer oil. Maybe it is nothing.

Molly calcium and Boron are slightly higher now than the earlier, are the anti wear additives higher in 0w-40? Or is this Mobil’s new formulation?

Other users with this engine get very good results, they look more like a VOA than a UOA. Hopefully over time with good care I will get there.

I would like to try the new Mobil 1 EP 10w-40 but I have not seen it for sale yet. May go bach to 0w-40 this fall after the Arx cycles, and then something thicker next spring

Any comments/info/suggestions/wild theories welcomed

Thanks for reading
Raven

Ok if it looks like SL then it probably was, I can't remember. Should have put that in my maintenance log the bottles are long gone.

Guess that is most likely the last of the M1 0w-40 SL I will see then eh?

FOr the most part it looks just fine. I am pleasantly suprised to see 0W40 do so well. It is too bad though about the consuption. Have you considered trying M1 TSUV 5W40 or M1 15W50?

I think that one bottle of Auto-RX is only enough for a 4-5 quart oiling system? With an 8 quart sump you probably should have added 1 1/2-2 bottles of Auto-Rx for a single treatment? You might contact someone that knows more about the ratio like Frank the inventor or one of the guys working for him!!! I would hate to see you throw money away with too weak of a ratio to work!!

Yes it is looking better, certainly much better than my Chevy, if you are surprised at this 0w-40 report you will be shocked by this 8,000 mile in the same engine.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001765#000000

I have tried both Delvac 1 (~= or maybe not to T&S) and 15w-50, consumption was about the same, (first and second OCI’s above) I have a rear main leak and a few other seeps, at this rate I am not going to pull the transmission over it, also loose a considerable amount through the PCV, not sure if I am loosing much if any past the rings.

On the Arx, yes 16 oz is the recommended dose for an engine with this size sump, each bottle is 12 oz so about 1 full and about a their of another as recommended. I am hoping the Arx will help with the rear main.

I am about 1400 miles into the first 1500 mile phase, consumption is still the same, still have 3 more phases to go, I hear you don’t see results until later.

We shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back