Mobil 1 0w-20 in 2002 Acura RSX, 2.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1's 0W20 oil does appear to be putting up a good initial showing. I've been keeping tally of a few oils posted in the uoa section. Here is a little comparison of several thru early January. I haven't had time to include the most recent reports in the summary yet. The following ppm/1000 mile summaries specifically exclude engines going thru break-in, which woould raise the numbers for all, but especially 5W20 oils since they seem to have a lot more people report using them in new cars than other oils.
code:

Iron Lead Samples Miles

Mobil 1 0W20: 1.39 .31 5 5,163

All 5W20 oils: 2.38 .64 16 3,915

Amsoil 5W30: 1.48 1.02 13 5,288

Mobil 1 5W30: 3.06 1.07 59 4,690

Penn 5W30: 2.94 2.17 6 3,603

Castrol 5W30: 2.09 1.25 11 4,703

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
I'm not so sure I'd use xw-20 in any low-revving engine. TooSlick's UOA shows that engines that live live on the low-end of the RPM spectrum are subject to more wear when used at low RPMs.

OTOH, 20w oils look like a great choice for newer higher-revving 4cyl models to maximize efficiency and engin life.

I wouldn't exactly call this truck a high revving 4-banger.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000721#000000

Seems the key is using the 20w in vechiles that specifically call for it.

Mikep

Iron though on this particular break down, is a bit higher with M1. I'm extremely impressed with M1 0w-20 though. I wish all their oils showed numbers like that!

quote:

Originally posted by Jay:
I have some Synergyn 0w-20 on hand and some Chevron 5w-20. Which should I try next?

Go with the Synergyn next Jay. I've got it in my Hondata K20A3 EP3, but only put about 8-10,000 miles on my car each year. My first oil change and UOA won't be until the summer (at the earliest).

quote:

The gearing is such that it doesn't downshift right away--almost like it's trying to stay in the highest gear--then it will downshift a second or two later. The lugging is present

I rent a lot of cars. This fall I drove a Honda 2003 4cyl pretty fast in the Ozarks mts. I stopped at an overlook for a few minutes and just happen to leave the engine running. I heard an engine knock that was pretty bad. I drove off slowly and did not hear it again. Later, I even drove it for a about a 150 miles (some at 90MPH on the Intersate) but I did not hear the idle knock again when I stopped for dinner. Not sure why the knock, but I have never had this happen with any car. It did not sound good.

But even the 4cyl was a blast. It just wanted to lug. I suspect Honda did it to increase the MPG, which is a class leader. But at what price and with a 20 weight oil?

[ February 05, 2004, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: OilAnal ]

I work for a rental car company, so I can tell you first hand that that Honda did not have 5w20 in it! They don't care what the owners manual says, they will put in 5w30 or 10w30 dino oil, which ever is cheaper. The 5w20 costs more money and cuts down on profits. Engine longevity is not given consideration because rental cars are turned over every 20-30k.

quote:

Sump Size 5.6 qts

That is one heck of a sump for an I4 engine!
gr_eek2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:

quote:

Sump Size 5.6 qts

That is one heck of a sump for an I4 engine!
gr_eek2.gif

I think the trend is toward larger sumps in hard working 4's. May help cope with lower oil viscosities by keeping temperatures down. This may be even more important if the owner fails to keep it topped up. My 02 Cavalier Ecotec calls for 5.8 quarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back