Mobil 1 0W-20, 8,057 mi 2008 Mazda CX-9 3.7 L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my report from Blackstone for our CX-9. The manual calls for 7,500 mile intervals and since the vehicle is still under warranty, I am going to stick with that interval. I used Mobil 1 0W-20, not the 5W-20 that the report indicates. I also used a Mobil 1 filter. I also did add 3 oz of Auto-Rx at teh start of the interval. This is the second time in a row that Blackstone has indicated the wrong oil. I need to contact them to get the report corrected.

The CX-9 sees about 50 miles per day of commuting. I wasn't paying attention, so she went a couple weeks over the 7,500 mile interval. It doesn't look like any harm was done. It looks like I should be pretty comfortable with this oil under this interval. I currently have some Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy in there now because of the rebate. I'm sure it will fare as well.

Any thoughts or concerns?

cx9_rpt2.jpg

Last edited:
Keep going with it and establish a trend. Also, I would not use Auto Rx with Mobil 1. In fact, don't use any additives. All the additives you need are in the oil. Not necessary.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
IMHO, I would not use the Auto-rx in a 2008 model with Mobil 1

x2..shouldn't need it.

I tossed in the Auto-Rx to help carry any break in particles that may be remaining. It was a maintenance dose. I don't have anything in there for this interval yet.

Need to do some shorter runs with dino oil to flush out break in material. You're not doing this engine any favours.

AutoRX will definitely clean areas M1 cannot. Keep using it with confidence. Too many people believe oils really can do everything.

Why would anyone run RX with an oil that contains polar base oils and in a vehicle that only has 14,000 miles on it? Makes no sense.

Note to self;

Don't do extended OCIs on new engines....
27.gif

If it was me, I'd forget the AutoRX and extended OCIs.

Do a few 5k OCIs with any oil that is rated for it then a 7,500 mile run and see what that UOA looks like.

I would not be happy with this UOA personally. While your engine is prob fine I would rather see a young engine doing better.

Thanks for the post!

Bill

Originally Posted By: buster
Why would anyone run RX with an oil that contains polar base oils and in a vehicle that only has 14,000 miles on it? Makes no sense.

IF there is grp V base oil in that mobil, that is only a huge deal when running clean/rinse. Maintenance dose isn't an issue for the most part.

Originally Posted By: buster

I agree with Buster,come on only 14,000 miles!!

The engine is really new and the numbers look fine . you could extend the oil change interval to 10,000 miles no problem that is a benefit of syn oil. Warranty compliance is a good idea .

I hate to say it, but this is not your usual brake-in I'm used to see in Japanese motors. Fe is higher than previous UOA and steady at 7ppm/1000miles. Is this engine known to produce higher Fe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back