Magnesium 13/119
Phosporus 644/744
Zinc 735/882
Barium 0/2

SUS Viscosity @ 210 F 52.5/51-59
Flashpoint 405/>355
Fuel Antifreeze 0/0
Water 0.0/ Insolubles 0.2/ TBN 6.1

Blackstone: Mark, when you add an unusual amount of make up oil due to leak or whatever, the fresh oil tends to dilute the wear metals. These Nissans wear so nicely anyway, it's hard to see the dilution in the sample. At only 0.5 quart, there may have been no noticable effect on the spectral examination numbers. Iron wear tracked a little higher with the longer oil use interval, but it still reads lower than the 10-ppm in the universal average file. Had you run 5,075 miles on this oil fill, we think iron would have read average. The TBN was 6.1, still nice and high.

Me: Make up oil was only .25 of a quart. Sorry, my mistake.
cheers.gif

Looks very nice. Is this engine spec for xw-20 by Nissan? Just curious, obviously even if it's not, this oil seems to work well for you. I'd stay on course and not change a thing.
cheers.gif

EDIT: Well I would change one thing -- I'd go longer next time. Is this one of those 3750 recommended OCI cars? It struck me as bizarre that Infiniti spec-ed this number for my G35 (severe) rather than rounding off.

Last edited:
I believe these are spec'd for Xw-30 oils. I've been contemplating on trying out an Xw-20 weight for my car (01 Sentra SE with the SR20DE) and this UOA helps reassure me about its performance.

Quote:

Looks very nice. Is this engine spec for xw-20 by Nissan? Just curious, obviously even if it's not, this oil seems to work well for you. I'd stay on course and not change a thing.
cheers.gif

EDIT: Well I would change one thing -- I'd go longer next time. Is this one of those 3750 recommended OCI cars? It struck me as bizarre that Infiniti spec-ed this number for my G35 (severe) rather than rounding off.

My Acura specs 3750 for severe also (half of 7500, which they recommend for normal)

Quote:

cheers.gif

My owners manual doesn't give a recommended amount of miles before change. It does spec 5w-30 year around or 10w-30, 10w-40 above freezing.

I probably could have run the Mobil1 0w-20 the rest of the summer but then I'd only get to change my oil once a year.
frown.gif

I would use 10xXX in this engine. Nissans like thicker oil. Also I would avoid to use such thin oil at summer.

How would adding 0.25 quart of make-up oil dilute the wear metals? Wouldn't they still be in the oil already in the engine? Another head scrathcer there. Unless you are leaking the oil really badly...

Quote:

How would adding 0.25 quart of make-up oil dilute the wear metals? Wouldn't they still be in the oil already in the engine? Another head scrathcer there. Unless you are leaking the oil really badly...

Adding only a 1/4 quart of oil will not really affect the wear metal readings all that much, but if you were to add one or two quarts of oil over a 5 or 6k run, it would definitely show less overall wear metals than it would with no makeup oil (since you're introducing fresh oil with no wear metals in it to replace oil that burned or leaked out which had wear metals in it)

Looks excellent.
No problem fitting that big filter on it?
Some QR's tend to be oil burners. Half a pint consumption over 6 months/3500 miles is nothing to worry about.
I expect more Si with a CAI but the number isn't too bad.

Nissan has been using the 3750/7500 OCI recommendation for years. They even throw in 3mo/6mo time intervals if mileage isn't met. Very conservative but you don't read about Nissan sludging any engines. Its too bad that Nissan does neglect the coolant, PSF, BF, and transmission intervals.
If owners manual doesn't have OCI info, Nissan uses separate service/maintenance and warranty manuals that are usually included with the owners manual packet.

Stick with a 6 month synth OCI and the engine should last forever. Thin oil also didn't add any surprises either.

Quote:

You got me.
dunno.gif
I mistakenly wrote down .5 qt when I sent in my sample when in reality it was on .25 qt. I have a very small leak from the lower corner of the timing cover. I think I bent it when I replaced the cams.

Also should have mentioned with the balance shaft removal and oversize filter the capacity is now six quarts.

Thanks for the responses.

Mark

With your fuel, insolubles, & flashpoint numbers, PLUS that bigger sump capacity, you should have no problem going an entire year on the oil. I typically wouldn't recommend yearly changes in Nissans 'cause their oil capacities tend to be too small.

The big sump size also keeps oil temps cooler. This helps make the engine immune to an oil weight not recommended.

Without balance shafts, you've increased oil flow and pressure for the rest of the engine. That would be the 2nd immunization against thin oil.

Quote:

I believe these are spec'd for Xw-30 oils. I've been contemplating on trying out an Xw-20 weight for my car (01 Sentra SE with the SR20DE) and this UOA helps reassure me about its performance.

I used a mixture of 20 and 30 wt on my SE and the mileage went down. I wouldn't go with the 20 wt on the SR20DE. But I wouldn't mind you doing it so I could see and verify if I am right or wrong.

adc100 from b15 Sentra.net.

Quote:

I used a mixture of 20 and 30 wt on my SE and the mileage went down. I wouldn't go with the 20 wt on the SR20DE. But I wouldn't mind you doing it so I could see and verify if I am right or wrong.

adc100 from b15 Sentra.net.

Hi Al
smile.gif
If anything I would try out a 20 wt during the winter time. Not brave enough to try it during the summer heat
crazy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back