Mixing PYB and PP or PU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle in question- 2006 NA Subaru Forester 4 Cyl with 90,000 miles.

Have been using German Castrol and have run out. So in desperation, I put Mobil 1 HM 5W30 in this time. I don't particularly want to continue with M1 HM and be stuck with it or with a HM oil. The M1 HM is good stuff but may be a bit thick for CO winters and I don't think I need seal swelling. Syn does a good job of keeping seals in good shape. My Subie does not leak or consume oil at this point.

I change my oil every 7,500 but can switch to 5,000-6,000 quite easily. Can I start using a 50-50 mix of PYB and PP or PU? I don't want to switch to full conventional since my car has use synthetic for around 80,000 miles.

If this is a dumb idea to save money yet get a good mix, I'll just go to PP or any full synthetic that isn't a HM oil.

Just because you have used a HM oil once or twice doesn't mean you are stuck with it.

Why did you use M1 HM instead of regular M1?

Instead of mixing 50/50, why not just stick with PP for 7500 miles? It is a good price for a great synthetic. I don't think you will save that much money doing 50/50. You will only be saving a few dollars for a couple of quarts each time. Might as well pay $4 ish more and have all synthetic.

Just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: HK_Ace
Vehicle in question- 2006 NA Subaru Forester 4 Cyl with 90,000 miles.

Have been using German Castrol and have run out. So in desperation, I put Mobil 1 HM 5W30 in this time. I don't particularly want to continue with M1 HM and be stuck with it or with a HM oil. The M1 HM is good stuff but may be a bit thick for CO winters and I don't think I need seal swelling. Syn does a good job of keeping seals in good shape. My Subie does not leak or consume oil at this point.

I change my oil every 7,500 but can switch to 5,000-6,000 quite easily. Can I start using a 50-50 mix of PYB and PP or PU? I don't want to switch to full conventional since my car has use synthetic for around 80,000 miles.

If this is a dumb idea to save money yet get a good mix, I'll just go to PP or any full synthetic that isn't a HM oil.

Should be fine

You can blend any ratio of syn and conv. But buying in 5 qt jugs is cheaper than buying individual quart bottles. So in order to save money, buy a 5 qt jug of each (PYB and PP). That way to save money and have enough for two OCIs.

Your 50-50 idea is a good one. With any major oil brand, then that proportional mix will be fine for 6K OCIs.

Originally Posted By: 67Customs
Just because you have used a HM oil once or twice doesn't mean you are stuck with it.

Instead of mixing 50/50, why not just stick with PP for 7500 miles? It is a good price for a great synthetic. I don't think you will save that much money doing 50/50. You will only be saving a few dollars for a couple of quarts each time. Might as well pay $4 ish more and have all synthetic. Just my opinion (/quote).

+1...I agree that you should stick with a full-syn.

If $$ is tight....take advantage of the QSUD deal...and you can get a pretty good full-syn oil...almost for free... if you purchase it at WallyWorld.

Just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
You can blend any ratio of syn and conv. But buying in 5 qt jugs is cheaper than buying individual quart bottles. So in order to save money, buy a 5 qt jug of each (PYB and PP). That way to save money and have enough for two OCIs.

Your 50-50 idea is a good one. With any major oil brand, then that proportional mix will be fine for 6K OCIs.

This. Unless you're maxing out an OC, a mix of near anything would be fine.

Thanks, I will do just this. Off to Walnuts or one of the auto parts stores after checking prices. since I don't need filters, Walnuts would probably be the cheapest.

EDIT: I meant I will do the math and go 50-50 if I save enough. If not, I'll just use a good Syn if it goes on sale...probably will try to stick with PP if all syn.

Last edited:
Oh, I used HM because I was under pressure. The Autozone lines were getting long and I hate lines. So I grabbed it and ran to0 the counter, thinking it would be fine for one OCI since my car is HM. Why was I in a hurry? I had to go snowshoeing and was running late...and I hate crowds while showshoeing. It's all about being away from people.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Give the M1 HM a full OCI, and then compare how much you like it against PP. I think if you keep an open mind, you'll end up liking M1 HM as well, if not better than PP.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Give the M1 HM a full OCI, and then compare how much you like it against PP. I think if you keep an open mind, you'll end up liking M1 HM as well, if not better than PP.

+1.

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back