Mixing Greases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh-oh......um I have been operating under the apparently false assumption I could mix grease of the same base. Several recent posts by those more knowledgeable than I, advise to never mix greases. Lately I have been using Walmart Marine Grease in everything but auto applications. (boat trailer, ATV, mower, tractor) due to the fact I get them all wet. I use Walmart high temp multi purpose on the car suspension. However, over the years, there have been various brands and types of lithium complex greases used in bearings, linkages and suspensions. Two questions:

*How bad have I screwed up?
*Is there a solid all around grease, with good water
resistance, I can use in all my apps?

Originally Posted By: tom slick
you can mix greases of the same base and even mix certain greases of different bases.

you can certainly mix different brands of Lithium complex greases.

I have labored under that understanding for years, but it is just been picked up along the way. I have no technical backing and was concerned when I read the last couple threads. Maybe I misunderstood the recent posts on mixing greases, and it is not brand/application specific.

Thank you for responding.

Last edited:
I think the issue in the last few threads has been mixing an unknown grease with other greases. for instance; the hub bearing that was "made serviceable" and partly filled with after market grease without knowing what the OEM fill was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back