Mixing 0W-30 and 10W-30 to get 5W-30?

I have a weird oil question.
I have a power washer that needs an oil change of 5W-30 oil.
I am out of that weight oil.
However I do have 0W-30 and 10W-30
If I mix an equal amount of each do I create 5W-30 ???
(I have a pharmaceutical background)

In theory yes. Why not just use either of them without mixing? If it were me I’d use the 10w30 and not look back.

Just my $0.02

Most of the 0w30s have Euro backgrounds and are thicker viscosity at operating temperature than the 5/10w30s. So my vote goes for using the 10w30, as long as it's not a diesel-only oil. If it is, then it's probably thicker at operating temp than the 0w30. I'd rather choose the 0w30 than a Rotella, Delvac or Delo-type diesel 10w30.

How old is this washer? If it's old, then a diesel 10w30 may turn out great for wear protection.

The answer to your question is yes, but only mix the same brand and family of engine oils to prevent possible chemical incompatibility.
For example I'll mix various grades of Petro-Canada Duron heavy duty engine oil (HDEO) together as they have the same additive package, but not with Petro-Canada passenger car engine oil (PCMO), as they have a different additive package that might clash when blended with ANY HDEO.

I have a Richard Prior level of chemistry, and look what happened to him when he mixed homo and skim milk together.
In contrast my brother and SIL have PhDs in organic chemistry, 1976 Sydney, AU.

It's a pressure washer. It really doesn't matter as long as it's full.
I had my last lawn mower for 5 years and never changed the oil. Just checked it every time. Gave it away free when I moved. As a kid, my dad would randomly dump old weed whacker gas/oil mix into the push mower to use it up in the spring before he put a new spark plug in. I think that mower was about 30 years old before the engine seized. Big yard and I used it for a few years that I made some money mowing a few neighbors yards in late elementary through high school. I recommend being nice to engines, but most small engines, at least the old ones, could take a lot of abuse. The mower I never changed the oil on was a $79 basic, side discharge push mower.

Reactions: wlk
A lot of small engines call for 10w 30. If your not pressure washing in -20 weather your 10w 30 will be fine
Other than probably being more common / available nowadays, I can't see why a power/pressure washer manufacturer cares about the "W" rating. If it's cold enough than 5W vs 10W factor in, you ain't gonna be using a water-based washer, at least not outside in ambient temperatures !

Back