Mini Cooper not started over 2 years?

My Dad has a 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S that hasn’t been started in over 2 years. Is there anything we should do to it before we attempt to start it?

then crank it.
Only thing I would add is if it has a clear flood mode, use that, or pull the fuel injector relay/fuse if you can to keep from washing the cylinders down.

How much gas was it stored with?

If very little it might be worth filling it up with fresh before cranking to dilute the old gas.

Start it up and drive it. I'd use up the old fuel and fill with fresh fuel, drive more. Additives won't fix stale fuel, and unless dad forgot to ever change the oil, the oil is likely fine. Once you run a few tanks of fuel through it, a good servicing may be in order.

take the plugs out, put a very small amount of oil in there to wet the rings, turn it over a few times by hand, then crank it. If that goes put plugs in, good fuel and if it runs do an oil change in short order.
This is what I did when I bought my car. It sat for almost 4 years but was started once or twice while it was parked

Only thing I would add is if it has a clear flood mode, use that, or pull the fuel injector relay/fuse if you can to keep from washing the cylinders down.

How much gas was it stored with?

If very little it might be worth filling it up with fresh before cranking to dilute the old gas.
It may have a couple of gallons of gas. It needs a new battery. That’s what stranded it in the first place. The battery would no longer hold a charge and then he’s had some major health issues and the car just sat through all of that. Getting a new battery tomorrow. There’s a gas station about a quarter of a mile away so would take it right to there upon start up to fill the tank. I might fill a gas can up with some gas and dilute the old gas with 3 gallons (size of my gas can) to get it to the gas station. Then after that, change the oil. I had a check engine light on when the battery died, I’ll have to get that scanned. My Dad has barely driven this car. I think it only has 35k miles.

It may have a couple of gallons of gas. It needs a new battery. That’s what stranded it in the first place. The battery would no longer hold a charge and then he’s had some major health issues and the car just sat through all of that. Getting a new battery tomorrow. There’s a gas station about a quarter of a mile away so would take it right to there upon start up to fill the tank. I might fill a gas can up with some gas and dilute the old gas with 3 gallons (size of my gas can) to get it to the gas station. Then after that, change the oil. I had a check engine light on when the battery died, I’ll have to get that scanned. My Dad has barely driven this car. I think it only has 35k miles.
That sounds like a pretty solid plan. Just add the fresh gas before you ever even crank it over. And check all the fluids, as previously mentioned. Hope it just fires right up and doesn't give you any grief, friend! Good luck!

I’ve left gas engines that long and just started them up no issue. I’ve done it for much longer than that on diesels. If you’re really concerned, turning over by hand first is probably prudent. But I’ve never seen oil pressure remain down on these start sequences.

Back