Microwave leak radiation???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our microwave died today and the Mrs. found us a free replacement. 1977 vintage Toshiba the size of a Kia Soul (or the new Jeep Renegade...a topic for another time) complete with simulated woodgrain finish. It is in MINT condition and actually heats faster than the old 1985 model. Anyway, is it at all possible that an old unit like that could leak radiation? Am I being paranoid, or just ignorant? Thanks!

I think you have a valid concern, although I am sure it is a very cool piece! Does it have the bottom hinged pull down style door like a regular oven?

I don't know if I could deal with a mechanical timer on a microwave since many times the difference between :10 and :15 is ruined food.

Originally Posted By: possum328
Side opener. Wish I knew how to post photos - it is a cool piece.

Upload images through imgur, no account needed. I wanna see the huge beast!

It's possible, however microwave radiation travels only a short distance so even if it leaked, if you're far enough way it shouldn't matter. Distance would be about a foot or two. You used to be able to buy a leak detector at places like radio shack, not sure if they're still around anymore. Whether it's faster or not just depends on how many watts the microwave is rated for, of course a 1000 or 1200 watt microwave is going to be faster than an 800-900 watt model.

Isnt it am amazing how old stuff will keep working while newer items fail over and over? If we knew what we know now,we all would have bought 2 or 3 of everything back in the 70s....and had a supply for a lifetime...and at the same time eased Jimmy Carters Malaise economy.(of course,nobody had the money back then anyway).

If nothing else that old unit is probably an energy hog, but it was built to last. I would be a bit concerned about a leak as well after all it is really old, but you say it is in like new condition. If it was hardly used it is probably safe.

Oh and please post pictures. I love classic old electronic and electrical appliances.

It shouldn't leak radiation as long as the door closes properly and there is no physical damage. mint condition? You should be alright.

they don't make them like that anymore, I bet the transformer is huge!

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Isnt it am amazing how old stuff will keep working while newer items fail over and over? If we knew what we know now,we all would have bought 2 or 3 of everything back in the 70s....and had a supply for a lifetime...and at the same time eased Jimmy Carters Malaise economy.(of course,nobody had the money back then anyway).

oh you said it!!

Last edited:
My oldest brother worked for an electric shop when microwave ovens first hit the market. I don't remember the exact year, but it was in the 70s. For Christmas that year, he gave my mom an Amana Radarange. The thing was (and still is) huge, at least by today's standards. Very heavy also. The thing had a dial timer on it and three buttons, an "on" button, an "off" button and a "defrost" button. Interesting enough, the defrost cycle had the manetron be on for about 20 seconds and off for about 20 seconds at a time. My mom used it until the late 90s without it ever failing and eventually just replaced it with something newer.
About a dozen years ago, I worked for a shop that had about 10 guys in it. During lunch, we all used a tiny, weak microwave oven that took a long time to heat our food. So I had this idea to bring in the old Amana Radarange. It still worked great and would heat our food in about half the time of the other microwave oven. Pretty soon I was still waiting in line to use a microwave oven because everyone was using my microwave oven instead of the shop-supplied microwave oven. After I moved on, I took the Amana Radarange with me and it still works great. I no longer use it, though, as I wonder about how much microwave leakage it has and I'm not going to buy a microwave radiation leak detector just to find out.

Would one of those old Civil Defense Geiger counters pick up leaking radiation?

Nope. Geiger counters measure ionizing (electron) radiation and microwaves use radio wave 'radiation', like a cell phone, radio station/radar or wifi router.

You're fine. If anything leaks out the only thing it will do to you is potentially warm you up. The only part of your body you have to be careful with is your eyes because they're not able to sense temperature like other parts of your body. Other than that it's harmless.

The older microwave likely use a real wireless emitter for microwave communication, build and cooled like a tank, that's why they last much longer and is much more expensive.

The newer one likely is a cheap, last a few year one that wasn't build like they used to.

Microwaves do not work that way!
hqdefault.jpg

I don't think so. Working from memory here. Geiger counters detect ionizing radiation: alpha (helium nucleus), beta (a neutron), gamma (very very very energetic electromagnetic wave). Microwaves are energetic electromagnetic (radio) waves, but they don't ionize gases they pass through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back