Microguard from O'Reilly - Opinions?

Have any of you used a Microguard air filter in your vehicle? I believe this is O'Reilly's house brand. I'm considering using the Microguard air and cabin air filters in my Subaru, and wondered what the BITOG consensus was on these. Thanks!

I bought some cabin filters, they were so flimsy, I had trouble installing them.
I'll never skimp again on quality filters.

Sometimes flimsy is helpful. Changing the cabin filter on my coworkers Infiniti requires squeezing the filter. First we tried a Microgard HEPA cabin filter and gave up after what felt like half an hour. I had the normal Microgard in there in under a minute!

As for the air filters, the quality seems to vary by part number. Sometimes you can’t tell them apart from a Wix, occasionally they’ll even look better, but sometimes there’s obviously less filter media or fewer pleats.

Of course they still work fine for the OE suggested interval.

Last edited:
Only downside I can report in regards to the 2 I am running of which I forgot to mention is the Microgard air filters I purchased I believe it was rated for 12,000 miles obviously that varies depending on conditions but I usually don't like running filters over what they are rated for.

And they are 97.5% efficiency vs FRAM which offers 99% efficiency options. I have run Super tech in the past on my Chevy and it held up perfectly fine and is rated to 3 years 30,000 I feel it is a much better value for $11 vs $22 for the Microgard.

The mileage doesn't really bother me because I am lucky to even reach 10,000 per year and I replace my air filters yearly no matter what, but I can see that being a problem for a lot of people who travel that kind of mileage within only a few months.

Have any of you used a Microguard air filter in your vehicle? I believe this is O'Reilly's house brand. I'm considering using the Microguard air and cabin air filters in my Subaru, and wondered what the BITOG consensus was on these. Thanks!
I have used them in our Forester and Sonata, they look and fit exactly the same as Wix or Napa or Fram and usually about $2-$3 less.
Like the old Suave soap commercials used to say "if you cant tell the difference, why pay the difference?"

So, I got the MG air and cabin air filters from O'Reilly. Prices compared to Wix were as follows:
MG air filter $16.99 / MG cabin air filter $21.99
Wix air filter $26.99 / Wix cabin air filter $31.99

Initial impressions are that the MG filters are essentially identical in appearance to the Wix filters, they are each $10 cheaper than Wix, and the boxes say they are both made in China. I haven't installed them yet, but will this weekend. As long as they perform well, I won't lose sleep that they come from China. Next time I will probably try a different brand, maybe OEM, not sure.

Installed the new MG filters in the Subaru today. Uneventful. Will probably run both filters for one year and post pictures then. Also installed new Sylvania Silverstar Ultra H11 low beam bulbs. Didn't realize until after I'd bought them that the BITOG crew doesn't think highly of the Silverstar Ultras. If I notice anything remarkable about them, I'll make a post about it.

Fit fine, but as already mentioned, they were thinner. Not quite the bargain I thought I was getting.

My rogue has both microgard cabin and engine air filter installed right now. Fitment and quality were great. I think they're manufactured under wix for O'Reilly

Back