Miata MSM (turbo) Delvac1ESP, 6,625 ...HUH??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
here is the 6.6k pull of the D1ESP in my Mazda Miata MSM(factory Turbo). this oil is going to be pulled as soon as i get home and i think i have an extra gallon for sale.. the miata is typically a kitten with oil, in my FX the D1ESP thickened out of grade (see http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1983006#Post1983006) and here it is about to drop out the bottom. i didn't get a TBN because it didn't even have 7k on the oil, but will try tomorrow. comparing the Ca, Mg and such, this oil looks in taters, and the Pb is highly disturbing. i expected better....QUITE a bit better.

Code:

Oil Filter--------M1-110

OIL D1 ESP5w40 M1 0w40

MILES IN USE 6,625 5000

MILES 21.6k 8.2k

SAMPLE TAKEN

ALUMINUM 4 3

CHROMIUM 1 1

IRON 16 20

COPPER 5 5

LEAD 17 6

TIN 0 2

MOLYBDENUM 17 96

NICKEL 1 2

MANGANESE 1 1

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 2 5

BORON 37 102

SILICON 14 21

SODIUM 9 5

CALCIUM 1475 2843

MAGNESIUM 625 15

PHOSPHORUS 922 844

ZINC 1199 1023

BARIUM 0 0

SUS VIS 210ºF 66.6 65.4

cSt @ 212ºF 12.05 11.73

FLASHPOINT ºF 420 395

WATER 0 0

INSOLUBLES 0.3 0.3

TBN

blackstone's comments

Originally Posted By: Blackstone
For the most part this 1.8L has matured nicely since the last time we tested it, though we did note
lead was reading out of line. Last time we attributed this to wear in, but at this point your Miata is past that
process, so we suspect this metal may be from another common source. One possibility is a particle streak,
which is when a particle gets lodged in the babbit, spins around taking metal off, and then gets dislodged. If
that is the case it should improve next time. All other wear looked good and the oil was in good shape too.
Check back on lead next oil change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JAG
You poor guy, your UOAs are some of the most perplexing to figure out.

i have always figured Delvac1 in a car was like taking aim with a battleship broadside at a mosquito, especially with a car as easy on oil as the miata. in this case, it is like watching the shells bounce off the pesky insect...

12.05 100C Cst is out of grade? Am I missing something? Also, with the high FP and low wear numbers, what here is alarming? A streak of lead? Really? I'd expect higher all-around wear, and some tin in this if you were having excessive bearing wear. Even Blackstone mentioned a particle streak. Babbit = tin-based, right? if this were actual bearing wear, and not just a particle streak as they say, then wouldn't there be at least a trace of tin in this analysis?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
12.05 100C Cst is out of grade? Am I missing something?

The out-of-grade comment was about his FX, not this car.

Mine's about 500 miles into some SSO and it runs much better than whatever the previous owner had in there.

Try some Rotella T6 if you don't trust the MSM is a kitten on oil. If you do, contact Mazda and you'll see they said 5w-20 was ok for the car later (in 05).

The turbo is water cooled so turbo coking would be difficult in daily driving.

went back and talked to Blackstone, and had them run a TBN on the sample. came back as a 2.6.

in any event, i am done with Delvac1. it has not performed in the manner i expected.

will ponder next options, probably go back with 0w40 in the miata.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back