Metrinch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, now that we have a Tool Time forum, I thought I'd start a post about Metrinch tools (you knew that was coming, eh?
wink.gif
). I don't normally buy stuff "as seen on TV" but when I saw the cheezy Metrinch infomercial, I was intrigued - and yes I bought the set. That was over 10 years ago and they're still going strong.

They actually are pretty good, they really do apply torque to the flats of a fastener instead of the corners. They do grip rounded off fasteners and they do work on both metric and standard (the geometry of how they work is simple but effective).

Granted they're not as nice as Snap-On but they're really good for the price.

Just my 2¢

I also have a set. Great for an in car set since it is so small.
The ratchet is a little rough but works. The sockets are great.

I bought a set about ten years ago, and I have been using it all the time. I have yet to damage or break any part. I had to add a couple sockets and a few thin wrenches.

I bought a set at Sears(!) about 6-8 years ago for only $50.

If I throw it in the car, I have most of the important stuff with me. I use it all the time for car, snow thrower and mower maintainence... never a problem.

I wish I had 3 sets, one for each car and one for home. My set is >$200 when I've looked on the web.

They were advertised on TV adds for ages, and I dismissed them, as not being the right tool for the job.

My parents bought me a set for Christmas/Birthday, and they are a seriously good thing.

When you get a second hand car that has nearly circular nuts/bolts, they are surprisingly handy.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
When you get a second hand car that has nearly circular nuts/bolts, they are surprisingly handy.

Metrinch tools also prevent rounding off bolt heads and nuts in the fist place. I've used Metrinch from the beginning with Audi and I have never damaged a bolt head or nut.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
I just about ordered the impact set... Then ventured into the "Info" section and learned they are not guaranteed for life.

The lifetime warranty of Craftsman tools was why I bought them years ago. After breaking a few sockets, replacement of which required an hour driving each time, I gave up on them. What good is a warranty if I have to constantly make use of it?

I've never understood all the talk about rounding off bolts in the first place (standard sales-pitch for Metrinch and assorted 6-point wrenches). I very rarely round off any bolt... and I deal with this $hit every day. The trick is to use the right tool for the job. It ain't rocket science.

I hear more [censored] about breaking sockets on the net than I have ever seen in person. I have abused my oldest set of craftsman sockets over the years and never broke any of them. I sometimes wonder if these "breaking craftsman sockets" stories are from the same ilk as "pennzoil gummed up my engine" stories?

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
I hear more [censored] about breaking sockets on the net than I have ever seen in person. I have abused my oldest set of craftsman sockets over the years and never broke any of them. I sometimes wonder if these "breaking craftsman sockets" stories are from the same ilk as "pennzoil gummed up my engine" stories?

LOL.gif

I've broken screw drivers, sockets, ratchets, breaker bars, extensions, wrenches, hammers, vices, prybars... you name it, I've broke it. That includes probably a couple dozen Craftsman sockets over the years... and some Mac, SK, snap-on, etc. It happens.

If you ain't breakin' tools, you ain't using them much.

Originally Posted By: onion
I've never understood all the talk about rounding off bolts in the first place (standard sales-pitch for Metrinch and assorted 6-point wrenches). I very rarely round off any bolt... and I deal with this $hit every day. The trick is to use the right tool for the job. It ain't rocket science.

exactly. the only time i rounded off a nut/bolt was when i was a kid using an adjustable wrench and didn't know any better.
that's why these things are sold in infomercials, just like the autobike; it's there to solve a problem that doesn't exist.
btw, the only time I've busted a socket was when I was abusing it intentionally (hammering on it, forcing it onto the wrong size, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back