Metal particles in new Supertech 3593A non e-core

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter was purchased a couple of years ago, and stored in the original box. I shook the filter so any loose material would be shaken off, then half filled it with clean gasoline. Then I turned it upside down over a clean container, to drain. I placed a magnet under the container, and took another photo (#2). Finally, I wiped the threads with a piece of tissue. (#3).

1. Filter
7446.jpg

2. container of gasoline used to rinse filter, with magnet underneath
7452.jpg

3. wiped threads with paper
7457.jpg

I wipe off the threads of a filter prior to installation. Regardless of brand I've always found machine oil, as your photo illustrates, left behind.

Now we know why wear metals are highest in the first 3000 miles of operation ...AND the REAL reason the engine manufacturers have promoted the "every other" OCI filter change.
shocked.gif
whistle.gif
grin.gif

There has to be cost-cutting measures to offer a filter this inexpensively. I've never been to a filter factory, but one look at this filter suggests one of the cost-cutting savings could be the lack of a blow-dryer either after fliter assembly -- or way-back in the production-cutting of the metallic parts.

I would guesstimate that the upper-end priced filters do a better cleanup.

The Mobil 1 filter I looked at also had dirty threads. So did the Pure1. The cleanest threads I've seen were on the low cost Honeywell Defense, and Fram. If these filter companies learned eachother's tricks, we could have the perfect filter.

Maybe I should buy a remote filter mount, just to flush the filters with some gas, using one of those hand powered bulb pumps they have on outboard motors. I'd use gas since it can go into the lawn mower afterwards.

Gary might be right.

p.s. The dirt wiped off the threads in the last photo was after rinsing the filter with gas. The filter was still wet with gas when I took the shot.

I dunno
confused.gif
..but it probably puts more fuel in your oil than you would normally over a decent duration. At least it's clean
dunno.gif

Let me ask a couple of dumb questions here:

First, will cleaning an oil filter with gasoline hurt the o-ring, filter media, or the adhesive used to secure the filter media to the end caps?

Second, Will residual gasoline in the filter contaminate the oil? Not all components in gasoline evaporate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back