Medical Errors No. 3 Cause of U.S. Deathss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just today My wife picked up her blood pressure prescription and was given the wrong strength, it was double of what was prescribed. the label was right but the pills were wrong.

Last edited:
My wife has been in hospital settings for 20 years. She states mistakes and misses happen more often then folks would want to know.

Comical responses in this post. I haven't read the OP's article link but I do have a little knowledge of the industry. Medical errors ARE a major problem and for pretty much every reason you could think of. That said, there is massive pressure to improve this situation, and the latest focus is on improving the "system" to reduce the potential for errors.

Yes, of course there are staffers who should not be in their position but lets be honest- that can be said of ANY job/career/industry. There are good and bad institutions but see my directly previous statement. Caveat Empator, do your (appropriate) homework and don't be one of the uneducated "sheeple." But also remember, a lot of folks in healthcare ARE highly trained; please don't think your one evening of googling replaces that.

"more than 250,000 deaths per year are due to medical error."

Think about it.....

Originally Posted By: buck91
Comical responses in this post. I haven't read the OP's article link but I do have a little knowledge of the industry. Medical errors ARE a major problem and for pretty much every reason you could think of. That said, there is massive pressure to improve this situation, and the latest focus is on improving the "system" to reduce the potential for errors.

Yes, of course there are staffers who should not be in their position but lets be honest- that can be said of ANY job/career/industry. There are good and bad institutions but see my directly previous statement. Caveat Empator, do your (appropriate) homework and don't be one of the uneducated "sheeple." But also remember, a lot of folks in healthcare ARE highly trained; please don't think your one evening of googling replaces that.
I can tell you're in management somewhere. The solution will be additional procedures staff has to perform and additional paperwork staff has to fill out to assure quality care. The root issues will not be addressed, and surely not fixed. The quality staff that are there will be even more overworked. But someone in an office not involved with patient care will get a bonus and a plaque.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: Leo99
My understanding is that FDA actually has people intentionally use sloppy penmanship to write out drug names and have pharmacists see if they can read the name or if they get confused with other drugs.

Welcome to the 21st century. Prescriptions are now electronically sent to drug dispensaries .

Some are. Not all but it's a step in the right direction to avoid mix ups. The use of bar codes is more and more prevalent, too.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
My company develops new drugs and the FDA shot down our name for the drug because they said that, due to doctor's poor penmanship on Rx, it could be confused with another drug. My understanding is that FDA actually has people intentionally use sloppy penmanship to write out drug names and have pharmacists see if they can read the name or if they get confused with other drugs.

Bottom line is we all need to advocate for ourselves and loved ones. Make sure you know what drug and dosage you're supposed to get from the pharmacy and check it on line to make sure it looks like what it's supposed to look like.

There are plenty of sound alike look alike drugs, but in the event of poor penmanship we can usually figure the drug out by the strength or dosage frequency. I agree with your statement, if you ever see a drug that looks different don't hesitate to check it out online or give your pharmacy a call! It's better to be safe than sorry.

Originally Posted By: hatt
...I can tell you're in management somewhere. ...

Far from it. Just stating what the biggest trend I have seen is.

Originally Posted By: highe
Just today My wife picked up her blood pressure prescription and was given the wrong strength, it was double of what was prescribed. the label was right but the pills were wrong.

Walgreens?

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Originally Posted By: highe

Walgreens?
Buy a pill cutter and you have double the supply for the same price.

Welcome to the 21st century. Prescriptions are now electronically sent to drug dispensaries .

Narcotics scripts are not able to be electronically transmitted, not even by fax anymore. The script has to have a wet signature on it from the doctor, but the rest of the script can be computer generated taking out the poor handwriting aspect.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

Narcotics scripts are not able to be electronically transmitted, not even by fax anymore. The script has to have a wet signature on it from the doctor, but the rest of the script can be computer generated taking out the poor handwriting aspect.

This.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
You are still at the mercy of your doctor making a mistake and pharmacist not catching it.

If you are oblivious to your health of course.
My wife was prescribed for a 40mg dose of statins/day. Wife and I had previously done the research on statins and based on the literature we knew 10 or 20mg would be prescribed. The Doc indicated that he would initially prescribe 20. The pharmacy gave us 40 mg and I went back and checked the Docs recommendation on the computer.....The results of the exam are available on cerner.com. He had made a mistake and it should have been 20 mg.

No big deal...you better understand and if necessary question and do research on a drug you will be taking long term. If you don't ..shame on you.

Last edited:
As I always say "the difference between a doctor and a mechanic is that the doctor buries his mistakes, the mechanic fixes his!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back