Mechanic Starter Set

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe no one's suggested a roll of duct tape and a pair of vice-grips.
Then you can tell him to NEVER use them on a car.:)

Mechanix gloves. Maybe some Nitrite too.
I wont touch a car without some sort of hand protection.
Oils and ATF will wick right into your skin.

Safety glasses too, I think that was mentioned.

Also a swivel ratchet. I have a Craftsman one but the HF ones look nice. I use that tool a lot!

Last edited:
If motorcycles are likely to feature, a good impact driver with lots of cross-head bits.

And some aluminium-base anti-seize.

Last edited:
Multi-meter

I'll third the pry bars. Sears puts the two piece craftsman set on special quite often. I think they are still made in USA.

Wobble extension. Mines a kobalt 3" 3/8s. Makes plugs much easier on many vehicles.

36" pipe wrench. Cast iron handle(cheaper)

Rigid 36" (handle is aluminum, it will cost more, USA made)

Channel Lock set (or off brand)

Vise Grips, MANDANTORY. Large Straight Jaw, Large Curved jaw, medium curved jaw, medium needle nose jaw and a small curved jaw. I would only buy name brand here.

Boxed end wrenches, I would get the offset kind, that is the type I use anymore.

Wire/brass brushes and penetration oil.

Originally Posted By: jdirtrider
Putting together a full starter set for my son for Christmas, he's just recently getting into my craft so I want to be supportive. Here's what I have so far:

-Craftsman 5 Drawer Tool Center with Riser from Kmart $79 on Black Friday
-Craftsman 311 Piece Tool set I had laying around
-Craftsman Drawer Liner
-9 Piece Garage Starter Kit - Advance Auto - Included Creeper, Wheel Chocks, Magnetic Tool Holder, Filter Wrench, Drain Pan, 2 Jackstands, 1 Jack - Paid $30 with coupons
-2 Torque Wrenches - Advance Auto - Paid $20 Total
-Craigslist Buy - $100 - 2 Hitachi Cordless Drills with batteries and flashlight, Orbital sander, Sawzaw, Craftsman corded 1/2" Impact Wrench, and various tools that could use a good cleaning.

What else am I missing? Trying to stay budget friendly.

3 Ton Jack, Led work light (like this), some specialty funnels and a breaker bar from HF. There's a bunch more other stuff, but this is good for starters.

http://www.amazon.com/Snap-On-Work-Light-LED/dp/B00H5GRL3Q

Last edited:
Harbor Freight wobble extensions square drive in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2.

Does the 311 piece tool set include 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 U joint extensions, if not Harbor Freight sells them.

Xcelite Phillips screwdriver set (look on e-bay for them), or the new Craftsman diamond coated screwdriver set.

Does the 311 piece tool set include a set of open end/box (6 point) wrenches in S.A.E. and metric? If not get Craftsman sets.

Does the 311 piece tool set include allen and torx bits in 3/8 drive? If not Harbor Freight sells sets.

I have an old impact driver (the kind you hit with a big dead blow hammer) that I only use once every couple of years, but when you need it, it really comes in handy.

A spray can of PB Blaster penetrating oil to loosen rusted bolts.

A roll of 3M electric tape.

Harbor Freight sells ratchets with a non-conductive hard plastic handle. They are great for working on battery terminals.

I have a small set of Phillips and regular screwdriver bits with a small ratchet that is great for getting into small spaces.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA

Does the 311 piece tool set include allen and torx bits in 3/8 drive? If not Harbor Freight sells sets.

I like HF like the next guy but torx and hex are a great place to not skimp.

IKEA magnetic knife rack, for "parking" sockets in use on during a job.

I couldn't find the standard socket-strip with the spring clips for the sockets here, so I store them as a "necklace" on a sheet-bended circle of insulated electrical wire, (cordage gets too dirty) which I can carry slung over my shoulder

This works when space and organization are lacking, but it isn't a very convenient or "professional" solution.

I'm thinking I might improve access by looping individual or pairs of sockets off the main ring, but havn't tried that yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back