Mazda MV and Ford Fusion FNR-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been talk of the ATF oil spects for these two trannys are the same. A month ago I e-mailed Mobil tech. and they said the two oils are differant but some here say diffentlly, that they are the same. I just called Mobil tech this morning and the guy there said they are two different spects and not to use M1 ATF in the Fusion tranny. Guys, I have used M1 ATF since Mobil invented the stuff and have never had a problem with their oil and am just itching to use it in my Fusion. But am afraid to put it in against Mobil techs advise. Twice.What do use you guys think? Any real proof that Mobil tech is wrong?

It is the exact same transmission. Mazda MV fluid spec is what Motorcraft FNR5 ATF adheres to.

You will find the FNR5 transmission in Mazda6i, Mazda3s, Mazda5, Ford Fusion 2.3L. They all use the exact same setup and same ATF spec.

M1's ATF spec lists Mazda M-V as acceptable use. That covers the FNR5 ATX in any car.

I'm running Valvoline Maxlife listed for Mazda MV use in my mazda6i. No complaints so far.

Last edited:
Also the Mazda and Focus Tran pans gaskets work. Looks like Fel-Pro 18731.

I would only use the FRN5 fluid from Ford or Mazda myself.

What'smadding about this is that I have called both the Mazda and Ford dealers this morning and they don't have a clue if their trannys are the same. Is there a site I can go to for verification these two oils are the same? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: tig1
What'smadding about this is that I have called both the Mazda and Ford dealers this morning and they don't have a clue if their trannys are the same. Is there a site I can go to for verification these two oils are the same? Thanks.

No. Although I thought the Ford manual calls out for Mazda M-V spec?

they are the same. the ford part number is XT-9-QMM5, the Mazda part number is 0000-77-501e-01. notice the M5 on the end of the Ford part number.

Many people don't realise that the Fusion uses 2 different transaxles, a 5-speed and a 6-speed, and that these transaxles use 2 different incompatible fluids: FNR5 which is Mazda M-V, and "Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid" which is Mobil 3309, AKA Toyota T-IV. Maybe this is the source of the confusion you've experienced.

For the benefit of those who are not aware, Mazda M-V is NOT the same thing as Mercon V. DO NOT confuse the two as they don't play well together.

Quote:
I have called both the Mazda and Ford dealers this morning and they don't have a clue if their trannys are the same.
There's a shocker...
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: LC
Look at your trans dipstick is say right on it to use M-V.

Danged if it don't! Im convinced! YEA! Now I can buy the M1 ATF and install! Any other input will be greatly appreciated.

Just finished doing a double drain and fill with the M1 ATF. When I drain the ATF I get about 3 1/2 qts. out at a time. Tranny shifts a tad smoother with the M1.

Originally Posted By: LC
Look at your trans dipstick is say right on it to use M-V.

LC,
Thanks for your help in guiding me thru the ATF spec maze with the Mazda and Fusion trannys.

bdcardinal, Where you did you get the Motorcraft stuff? Dealer? How much does it go for? I'm tired of paying $7-$9 a quart for the stuff in the Mazda bottle which is only available from the stealership.

Is the Ford fluid made by Idemitsu? I'm a sucker. I will only use OEM fluid in this transmission. thanks!

Originally Posted By: maximus
bdcardinal, Where you did you get the Motorcraft stuff? Dealer? How much does it go for? I'm tired of paying $7-$9 a quart for the stuff in the Mazda bottle which is only available from the stealership.

Is the Ford fluid made by Idemitsu? I'm a sucker. I will only use OEM fluid in this transmission. thanks!

I did buy a Qt of the MC FNR-5 oil from my local Ford dealer a few months ago. It retailed for $8+ a qt but they sold it to me for $6+ a qt. Counter wholesale price. I believe the only place you can buy the MC oil is at a Ford store.

My dealer is Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Mazda. Guess what happens when you have a BITOGer in the parts dept that does parts ordering, you guessed it, a boutique of all the specialty fluids for both manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back