Mazda M-V & Ford Mercon-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
The part number could be just a miss-print since Mazda probably uses Motorcraft fluid, just like Ford, but of course they wouldn't want their customers to see Ford's name on the bottle, so they print their own labels and they probably messed up the part numbers.

The mazda fluids are usually provided by Idemitsu, not Motorcraft/ford. That may not be true for the MerconV applications but I know it is true for the M-V.

the 3309/t-iv comes from Mobil i think.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
The part number could be just a miss-print since Mazda probably uses Motorcraft fluid, just like Ford, but of course they wouldn't want their customers to see Ford's name on the bottle, so they print their own labels and they probably messed up the part numbers.

The mazda fluids are usually provided by Idemitsu, not Motorcraft/ford. That may not be true for the MerconV applications but I know it is true for the M-V.

the 3309/t-iv comes from Mobil i think.

You are thinking of Toyota. Mazda doesn't use Mobil products.

so who makes this?

0420000843.jpg

downsized_0420000843a.jpg

so who makes this?

As I already said, Idemitsu makes most of Mazda's OEM fluids.

so who makes this?

As I already said, Idemitsu makes most of Mazda's OEM fluids.

Then why when i called Mazda they said it is sourced through Mobil, not the dealer but dealer support for parts personnel. All the fluids ship from Excelda.

Im not trying to argue, just saying I work for a Ford / Mazda dealer in the parts department and I deal with this every day.

I see on the Mazda3forums that many 3 owners use Mercon V in place of M-V with great succuss. Also, many 3 owners use a variety of ATFs in their trannys...Mobil 1, Caltrol IMVF plus a wide variety of synthetic ATFs.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I see on the Mazda3forums that many 3 owners use Mercon V in place of M-V with great succuss. Also, many 3 owners use a variety of ATFs in their trannys...Mobil 1, Caltrol IMVF plus a wide variety of synthetic ATFs.

And on Mazda6 forums, some have complained about shift shock when using Mercon-V. There was a ton of them back in '07. Might not be that many on the boards any more.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

I used M1 ATF (original Mercon V certified) for 105k miles.

At 105k, I changed the ATF again and M1 ATF has become "recommended for" Mercon V. SHIFT SHOCK.

So I started researching and found the Mazda bulletin about Mercon V and ATF-MV, and switched to ATF-MV. NO MORE SHIFT SHOCK.

It now has 120k on it.

OP's question was whether Mercon V and ATF-MV are the same, and THEY ARE NOT THE SAME.

The Ford orbit of companies including Mazda and Volvo have used a bewildering array of slightly different transmission fluids over the past 10-20 years.

These bozos really need to settle on a standard and then use it for an extended period of time.

I would believe the TSB before the dealership. My dealership has bottles of mercon v and bottles of M5(which is the M-V). Mazda could be a little clearer on all of this. Why the list M-V as the atf and not M5, I'll never know.

My dealership service writer says the pan on a Mazda 5 auto does not have a drain plug - which it does. You get different answers from different dealers, and not always what the Mazda corporation might say. I think people use mercon v because it's easier to find then fluid that actually says it's m-v compatible.

They might also say there is no filter. There is one and can be ordered. I'm just frustrated by not having a specific recommendation from Mazda other than letting the each dealer decide.

This will seem a strange question, what do you think about using Mazda M-V for Dex III applications? I have 12 quarts of it and I have no Mazda.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Prior to Mercon V seperating from the Dexron/Mercon specs, Mazda spec'd M-V or Dexron III for their automatics.

Indeed; M-V is equivalent to Dex III

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
This will seem a strange question, what do you think about using Mazda M-V for Dex III applications? I have 12 quarts of it and I have no Mazda.

Depending on the car (if it were a model known to have finicky transmissions, I wouldn't just to be safe) I personally wouldn't have any trouble with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back